Burnham Outdoor Reset Option Module versus Tekmar

Users who are viewing this thread

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a Burnham ES24 gas fired boiler with a controller that accommodates an outdoor reset module p/n 102723-01 option made by the same company. While this seems an obvious choice, it's more than twice the price of a Tekmar 256. I am asking if anyone has used the Burnham module or the Tekmar for this boiler.

Thanks in advance

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
Yes, both and I don't know why the ODR module is overpriced except to say, some will pay more for an 85% efficient cast iron boiler than by any 95% low-mass condensing boiler, all of which are fully modulating and come with built-in ODR. Go figure.

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, both and I don't know why the ODR module is overpriced except to say, some will pay more for an 85% efficient cast iron boiler than by any 95% low-mass condensing boiler, all of which are fully modulating and come with built-in ODR. Go figure.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by pay more for an 85% efficient boiler. I selected the model I bought from the list provided by National Grid. If you go with their program, you are restricted to their list The unit recommended by the installer was 82.3% efficient and priced at $1648. The unit I bought was $1763 - a difference of $115. By contrast the type of boiler you're suggesting is $2921 - $1158 more, its heat exchanger is made of stainless as compared to a low mass cast iron which I purchased. The difference in price and the fact the stainless doesn't have the reliability yet (I replaced a Arcoliner cast iron of 1955 vintage) of the cast iron types was enough for me to select what I bought.

That's what I figure.

As to the original post, the reset module by Burnham is best priced at $380 versus $155 for the Tekmar from the same dealer. I am hoping that someone out there has used either and what was their experience.

BadgerBoilerMN

Reaction score
Website
First, the appliance price is only one factor in the "installed" price and frankly the least of it. There are competitive condensing boilers on the market that we sometimes install for less than their cast iron equivalent.

The cast iron boiler is a high-mass boiler and may in fact last longer than a low-mass condensing boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger, but the potentially longer life of cast iron is offset by the lower efficiency. Much lower efficiency, in certain applications.

If the question is; which is better, we are back at definitions. The Burnham module is made for the unit and is a sure thing if you are so inclined. The Tekmar must be installed and programmed for each system and is not "plug & play" though the Burnham should be programmed for each application.

The most important consideration when choosing any boiler is getting the right contractor to install and maintain it. Internet "research" is a very unreliable way to choose a boiler, since their is no way for the consumer to assess the quality of a boiler or its real value without considering the ability of the contractor to properly size the boiler, his trade skills for installation, or the local support he may, or may not, get to properly service the unit you find ideal.

As for reliability, we have installed 10 different condensing boilers, most with stainless heat exchangers, with perfect luck. Some have not been serviced in more than 6 seasons. We recommend yearly maintenance for safety, reliability and warranty.

We also install Burnham cast iron boilers for those who value reliability above performance and ROI. We love boilers and don't discriminate.

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
First, the appliance price is only one factor in the "installed" price and frankly the least of it. There are competitive condensing boilers on the market that we sometimes install for less than their cast iron equivalent.

The cast iron boiler is a high-mass boiler and may in fact last longer than a low-mass condensing boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger, but the potentially longer life of cast iron is offset by the lower efficiency. Much lower efficiency, in certain applications.

If the question is; which is better, we are back at definitions. The Burnham module is made for the unit and is a sure thing if you are so inclined. The Tekmar must be installed and programmed for each system and is not "plug & play" though the Burnham should be programmed for each application.

The most important consideration when choosing any boiler is getting the right contractor to install and maintain it. Internet "research" is a very unreliable way to choose a boiler, since their is no way for the consumer to assess the quality of a boiler or its real value without considering the ability of the contractor to properly size the boiler, his trade skills for installation, or the local support he may, or may not, get to properly service the unit you find ideal.

As for reliability, we have installed 10 different condensing boilers, most with stainless heat exchangers, with perfect luck. Some have not been serviced in more than 6 seasons. We recommend yearly maintenance for safety, reliability and warranty.

We also install Burnham cast iron boilers for those who value reliability above performance and ROI. We love boilers and don't discriminate.

I'm not doubting or challenging what you replied. I did just want to get an idea as to the worth of the more expensive outdoor reset module. I think it was buried in there somewhere. :confused:

BadgerBoilerMN

Reaction score
Website
OK.

It isn't worth anything unless the guy installing it knows what he is doing. It is a question for the installer. If he doesn't have the answer you are looking for, get a new installer.

Last edited:

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
OK.

It isn't worth anything unless the guy installing it knows what he is doing. It is a question for the installer. If he doesn't have the answer you are looking for, get a new installer.

Yes, agreed, I get it. Thanks for the opinion/perspective though through a bit of a dissertation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks