Sink gurgle when toilet flushes, plumber cant figure it out

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Air being a gas, is very fluid and it would really need a massive load, which even several houses could not produce, to overload a vent. The main difference between a dry vent and a wet vent, is that a wet vent has a sink, or something, draining in to it. "Incredible perc test" does NOT mean it cannot be flooded during periods of heavy rainfall, and it has nothing to do with "pumping the tank". Even a bucket test, unless it was into the toilet having the problem would NOT show any problem. The ONLY way to know for sure is to open a cleanout on the line, (any properly installed line should have one), and look down into the pipe to see if you see water.

Last edited:

ajohansson

Reaction score
Air being a gas, is very fluid and it would really need a massive load, which even several houses could not produce, to overload a vent. The main difference between a dry vent and a wet vent, is that a wet vent has a sink, or something, draining in to it. "Incredible perc test" does NOT mean it cannot be flooded during periods of heavy rainfall, and it has nothing to do with "pumping the tank". Even a bucket test, unless it was into the toilet having the problem would NOT show any problem. The ONLY way to know for sure is to open a clean-out on the line, (any properly installed line should have one), and look down into the pipe to see if you see water.

Thanks hj for the response.

Perc test - I'm in Southern California. albeit its lightly raining today we are in a sever drought. 3" for the last year. My leach field and tank is fine.

I have had the entire house snaked. The end of the manufactured home was snaked all the way through . The problem was we could not get past the house to the tank. Too many bends. The house is 66 feet long. We definitely snaked past where the two gurgling drains are.

So if both drains gurgle (kitchen and 1/2 bath) and your saying there is no way I could overload the vent with volume and I have zero problems with backing up (i have ran every fixture in the house, plus a garden hose in my bath tub for 20 minutes) why do you think there is a blockage? and if there was how would that affect the wet vent system and at the same time not affect drainage.

I could see if by chance a large clog right near one of the vents could force air to the path of least resistance. Water like air will do that. Another post talked about a sag in the line causing like a trap essentially causing the entire volume of water to take up space in the pipe not allowing air to flow in the line.

I have to get under the house and see if a strap maybe broke. I am very reluctant to call the same plumber back out.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In many areas, mobile homes do not have to meet standard residential plumbing codes, but all the same laws of physics apply.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
In many areas, mobile homes do not have to meet standard residential plumbing codes, but all the same laws of physics apply.

That is true.

I did not know that California was allowed to vent a septic system.

After all, They wanted Cows to wear diapers.

Carry On.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks