Venting question - unused 3" stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonK712

Reaction score
Hi. I am a homeowner and in process of finishing my basement and have hired my own subcontractors. My home was built five years ago (in New Jersey) and has two floors plus the currently unfinished basement space. I have been going nuts trying to figure something out as I trying to figure out how to vent the bathroom plumbing. I realize I will need to talk to my current plumber, but I am a planner and I want to know in advance what I should expect and make sure he does not try to avoid something as I want things done to code, but part of the problem is with how things were done when house was first built and while maybe it was fine for code, it may have made things harder for me now. Fortunately, I have the blueprints from when my home was built and as I try to figure this out, there is something very odd I think with how the original plumber hooked up the various plumbing vents. I'll do my best to explain. When house was built, the builder properly added a 2" future vent line that was supposed to be "capped and tagged" in basement (and I can see where that was "supposed" to be). However, the original plumber seems to have taken the main 3" sewage discharge line (i.e. the one that exits the house to connect to city sewer) and connected a vent line to what should be my 2" "future vent". What really boggles my mind is that I then see a 3" pipe that comes through the basement slab and nothing in basement connected to it. I can go into my attic and see that same 3" pipe come up and then go out to the roof vent. Shouldn't the main 3" sewage line have been connected to that "unused" 3" vent? I just cannot figure out why that 3" pipe comes out of the basement floor slab. I was thinking radon? But there is no fan. There does not appear to be anything mentioned anywhere in my blueprints, including plumbing diagrams that mentions radon. Would it be okay for my current plumber to fix all this by venting the main 3" sewer line and connect to this 3" vent that goes up through to attic and out through the roof so that I can then have him properly tie in the new basement bathroom vent pipes to what was supposed to be the 2" future vent exactly for what it was meant for (i.e. my future basement bathroom)? If so, does that 3" pipe coming through slab matter and are there any special considerations I need to talk to him about and consider.

I added two pics hoping that will help show what I am saying. One is showing the 3" pipe coming out of basement slab, which goes up to attic and out roof. The other shows some connections. On far left, you can see the 3" main sewer line. On top of that just to the right of the red pex pipe, you can see the 2" pipe, which then runs over a few feet to the right and connects to what should have been the future vent. in the same pic on the right side, you can see the 3" pipe that was coming up from basement slab. It does make a 90 bend that looks like it is existing house, but it is actually bending and then bends again to go straight up and through to attic.

Attachments

• 3 inch pipe from slab.jpg
    3 inch pipe from slab.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 713
  • pipe connections.jpg
    pipe connections.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 659

Reach4

Reaction score
Radon vents can be passive, with a fan inserted later if that is inadequate.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There would be no function in a plumbing vent coming up out of the floor, or being installed below the fixtures on the floor above.
Any drainage stack going through the floor should have a cleanout in it, so what is there is questionable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; he does not try to avoid something as I want things done to code,

If he is "reputable" he will NOT do that, and if you have a building permit and inspections THAT will ensure it is done to code, NOT anything you do.

quote; when house was first built and while maybe it was fine for code, it may have made things harder for me now

When the house was constructed, I, or any other plumber would NOT have worried about how easy it would be for you in the future.

There would be no purpose to "venting the main 3 inch line" with that 3", or any other, vent pipe. The plumber may have installed the future 2" vent line, but then whoever installed the Radon system decided it would make their life easier if they just used it for part of their installation. Radon vents are "feel good" items, because you have absolutely no idea if they are doing anything other than looking pretty. That poster appears to be addressing a Radon vent installation.

Last edited:

JasonK712

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feedback and input. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday staring at blueprints, plumbing diagrams and I think I figured it all out. The future vent pipe is there and the previous plumber tied in a utility sink, which he should not have b/c the utility sink (located on floor directly above basement) already has its own vent line that goes straight up to attic (so it seems that is "double vented" if there is such a term). So, I talked to my plumber and we'll just undo that and connect my vent for basement bath to what the future vent, which is what it was there for to begin with. I also found the vent for the house's 3" main up in attack, so that was a relief for me. The 3" pipe coming out of slab still perplexes me b/c nowhere in the building plans was there anything about a radon pipe and certainly no fan attached, which I see from above can be added later. I would have thought if something was being done for radon, it had to be marked specifically as such. In the house plans, the 3" pipe that goes up and out of attic was shown as a " 3 inch PVC chase", but I guess it does not matter. If I wanted to add a radon fan up in attic later on, I guess it makes life easier. Thanks guys.

jaywalsh31

Reaction score
I could be looking at it wrong but it looks like the 3" pipe on the left coming out of the foundation wall could be your storm drain from outside. It would collect water from either a French drain, your current or future roof gutter system. Then travelling from outside inside, threw the foundation wall, turning 90° down and into the floor. It then would either connect into the sewer line or run into a separate storm drain if it exists, out and into the street.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi. I am a homeowner and in process of finishing my basement and have hired my own subcontractors. My home was built five years ago (in New Jersey) and has two floors plus the currently unfinished basement space. I have been going nuts trying to figure something out as I trying to figure out how to vent the bathroom plumbing. I realize I will need to talk to my current plumber, but I am a planner and I want to know in advance what I should expect and make sure he does not try to avoid something as I want things done to code, but part of the problem is with how things were done when house was first built and while maybe it was fine for code, it may have made things harder for me now. Fortunately, I have the blueprints from when my home was built and as I try to figure this out, there is something very odd I think with how the original plumber hooked up the various plumbing vents. I'll do my best to explain. When house was built, the builder properly added a 2" future vent line that was supposed to be "capped and tagged" in basement (and I can see where that was "supposed" to be). However, the original plumber seems to have taken the main 3" sewage discharge line (i.e. the one that exits the house to connect to city sewer) and connected a vent line to what should be my 2" "future vent". What really boggles my mind is that I then see a 3" pipe that comes through the basement slab and nothing in basement connected to it. I can go into my attic and see that same 3" pipe come up and then go out to the roof vent. Shouldn't the main 3" sewage line have been connected to that "unused" 3" vent? I just cannot figure out why that 3" pipe comes out of the basement floor slab. I was thinking radon? But there is no fan. There does not appear to be anything mentioned anywhere in my blueprints, including plumbing diagrams that mentions radon. Would it be okay for my current plumber to fix all this by venting the main 3" sewer line and connect to this 3" vent that goes up through to attic and out through the roof so that I can then have him properly tie in the new basement bathroom vent pipes to what was supposed to be the 2" future vent exactly for what it was meant for (i.e. my future basement bathroom)? If so, does that 3" pipe coming through slab matter and are there any special considerations I need to talk to him about and consider.

I added two pics hoping that will help show what I am saying. One is showing the 3" pipe coming out of basement slab, which goes up to attic and out roof. The other shows some connections. On far left, you can see the 3" main sewer line. On top of that just to the right of the red pex pipe, you can see the 2" pipe, which then runs over a few feet to the right and connects to what should have been the future vent. in the same pic on the right side, you can see the 3" pipe that was coming up from basement slab. It does make a 90 bend that looks like it is existing house, but it is actually bending and then bends again to go straight up and through to attic.

Don't worry about the specifics. Your licensed plumber knows what he's doing. I assume permits will be pulled and work will be inspected.

And fucks sake, Let the man do his work. Like lot of plumbers, I walk away from jobs where the homeowner wants to micro-manage. If you know the job better than the licensed guy you're hiring, then please DO YOUR OWN DAMN WORK.

If you're not doing the work yourself, the best thing you can do to HELP is to stay the "Gosh darn golly" out of the way and keep your pie-hole SHUT. When you have your car worked on, you don't get to hover over and get in the way. When you're having surgery, your significant other doesn't get to wear a gown and watch/comment.

I'm being blatantly honest. STAY THE "Gosh darn golly" OUT OF THE WAY. LET YOUR LICENSED MAN DO HIS WORK, without comment. If there is something you need to discuss, WAIT TILL THE NEXT DAY, don't try to start flapping your gums when the man who just worked his ass off for you is dripping of sweat and worn out from working hard all day. It's insulting and it's freakin’ rude and massively ass-hole. Yes, we want your feedback. We want to exceed your expectations. But please don't be a freakin’ twat. If you're going to be an in-the-way control freak, tell your plumber ahead of time so he can give you full control. He'll either walk off the job or triple your estimate.

If you see someone sweating and working hard for you, be grateful they are there at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks