Uneven toilet bottom?

Users who are viewing this thread

souper

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at installing a toilet. It doesn't leak and everything seems fine, but whenever you sit on the toilet the front of it moves down abit. The back doesn't move at all. So i think i have a uneven toilet bottom? that needs to be shimmed? I took some pennies and there seems to be some gaps on both front sides. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF it is a tile floor, that is more likely to be the reason for the movement. If it is the toilet, you must have a "blue light special". In any case a hardware store would have rubber shims to stabilize the bowl and cut off any 'excess" which sticks out. Also, when the bowl "moves down a bit" it compressed the wax seal but when it moves back up, the wax does NOT come with it, so it creates a gap "of some kind", which could, but not necessarily would, cause a leak.

Last edited:

souper

Reaction score
blue light special lol, The old flanges under the toilet are rubber and about half inch above the tiling. Maybe there's not enough room between the wax seal, flange and the toilet? And if its the tiling causing the problem, will the toilet just eventually sit properly? Anyways thx alot for the help, I'm installing 3 of them, they were american standard 6l ones. This was my first attempt, I'll probably have to reseat the first, but don't want attempt the second to make sure i got it right. I'll take a picture when i get home and show you what i mean

Reach4

Reaction score
The old flanges under the toilet are rubber and about half inch above the tiling. Maybe there's not enough room between the wax seal, flange and the toilet?
toilet.jpg

In the picture, the red thing is the flange. Flanges are not rubber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would "dry set" the bowl first, without wax to see if the bowl reaches the floor.
If it does, and the wax seal you are using is preventing the bowl from dropping down, then you need to go with seal without the horn.
Sometimes those "rubber" or plastic horns can prevent the bowl from dropping low enough with a high flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks