sticking float

Users who are viewing this thread

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
Hello group,Just looked in brine tank and yes a lot of water and the float is above water level?plus not using between 40 / 50gals @ regenerate?What's going on team,point me in the right direction.Thank you!!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A lot of water in the brine tank could be caused by loose brine line fittings allowing the suction of air instead of heavy brine water, then in refill what was supposed to be removed is added to what wasn't sucked out and eventually the tank overflows (if the float is a safety float and not used to control the amount of refill water, it is supposed to stop the overflow). Or it may be a blocked drain line, injector and/or injector screen.

Or... it may be the plumbing isn't right in attempting to soften the water as it goes into your cistern not providing a continuous flow for the whole regeneration. That would be caused by the cistern running out of water before the softener was finished regenerating. The well pump will not be allowed to refill the cistern until the regeneration is finished and a regeneration may take up to 90 minutes (1.5 hrs).

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
Ok Thank you for taking some time for this post,the first answer is probably what I will check-out first.Gary my set-up in regards with the cistern has plenty of re-gen. water and house usage,but I might or need to clean out my solenoid valves.Do you think that after cleaning all these pieces that a manual re-gen. is in order? If you need to see my plumbing in my attempts to soften our water I can send you some pics.via PM or were ever you like? What's it like being Retired anyways,wish I was ready.Thank-you Sir.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You should post pics and everything else in your original thread instead of starting a new one.

Yes loose brine line fittings are the most frequent cause of too much water in a salt tank, next is a blocked injector or injector screen, then a drain line kinked or blocked including frozen. I don't know if solenoid valves would be blocked up

Yes, anytime a softener is 'fixed', you need to do a manual regeneration. And you should watch it at least until the brine suction is completed. And then later to make sure it has put water back in the brine tank (assuming post refill is being used; not all control valves have pre refill but some do).

Question, how do you know there is enough water in the cistern to fully regenerate the softener? What allows the well pump to refill it during a regeneration? And if that is happening, the regeneration water flow would have to stop and the regeneration would not be complete unless the power to the control valve was shut off so cycle position time wouldn't continue to run (without any water) during the regeneration.

LOL I don't like being retired, I never planned to retire, just to slow down some.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks