Help with Bath/Tub Trim Kit Problem, Old Sterling Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkCox87

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade my old and nasty trim kit in my tub/shower. The problem I am faced with is that for an easy transition I do not want to replace the valve only the trim (turn knob, faucet, and shower neck). But, it is a Sterling by Kohler from probably I dunno 20 years... the age of the house. I learned that you cant buy any trim kit and expect it to fit. So I need something that will fit on the square fitting coming from the knob once the old trim is removed. I will provide pictures to show you what I mean IMG_20140215_130104.jpgIMG_20140215_130224.jpgIMG_20140215_130242.jpgIMG_20140215_130251.jpgIMG_20140215_130301.jpg So this is what I mean, where can I get a trim kit to fit this? Could you also provide links if they are available online. I am really hoping that there is a kit and I do not have to get a plumber to replace the valve inside the tub/shower.. Help...

MarkCox87

Reaction score
Background: I purchased a Trim Kit with valve from Home Depot (I believe Delta?), however it did not fit because the piece sticking out of the shower did not fit onto the new trim.

MarkCox87

Reaction score
So if I buy a brushed nickel Kohler Coralais it should fit my current valve (the black square piece sticking out that is?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
So if I buy a brushed nickel Kohler Coralais it should fit my current valve (the black square piece sticking out that is?

I don't think so. I think that the name is only partially-relevant. http://helptopics.us.kohler.com/lin...-Identify-My-Single-Control-Bath-Shower-Valve

As HJ said, your valve is a Kohler Coralais Mixing Valve. I think it's a K-15877-K. The K-T15101 kit is actually for the K-15700-K mixing valve, so I am actually not sure which it is.

If it is a K-15700-K, then the proper trim for that valve is a K-T15101 kit, the one HJ mentioned. It's K-T15101-4 with the lever handle and K-T15101-7 with the acrylic thingy. http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/115313_4.pdf Also, K-P15121-4 kit. http://designtool.kohler.com/us/detail.jsp?item=510602&prod_num=P15121-4 Also, K-T15871 and 15872. http://hi.atgimg.com/pdf/194/115422_4.pdf

In contrast, for example, K-T15621-4 is a nice Coralais mixing valve trim that the spec sheet says fits one of several valves, none of which is yours, and which appear from their pictures to have a totally-different thing sticking from the wall. (Now I could be totally wrong, and Kohler might not have mentioned on the spec sheet that the handle also fits your valve because that valve is long-discontinued, but looking at the protrusion from the wall on those valves, it doesn't appear that it should fit yours. Kohler also has a history of using the same trademark to apply to products whose specs have changed, as I suspect is the case here.) Kohler customer service could probably answer your question if you call them. It's a simple one: does the Coralais trim model ____ fit K-15700-K or not?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The new Coralais is a "Rite Temp" body which is entirely different than your obsolete K-15700 body. But, using the old number which I gave you, might find someone selling something you can use, however, it was only made in Chrome, Polished brass, white, black, and almond, so these are the only colors you would find.

MarkCox87

Reaction score
So if I wanted to change the valve, to get a new brushed nickel look, can I do that without taking out the shower? And if so how?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
So if I wanted to change the valve, to get a new brushed nickel look, can I do that without taking out the shower? And if so how?

I'm not sure what you mean by taking out the shower, but you would open the wall there to get at the valve, replace it, and then close the wall back up. It's not a small job, but you wouldn't be removing the whole shower per se. Can't vouch for this guy, but here's one video of someone doing it...

[video=youtube;1g02dQWGh78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g02dQWGh78[/video]

Last edited:

MarkCox87

Reaction score
Well, Ill call Kohler and let them know the model number just in case they have a trim kit in brushed nickel, but more than likely I will just have to replace all of it... Thanks for everyones help! :cool:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Whether you can replace the valve without damaging the shower wall depends ENTIRELY on how it is connected, but at that age, it is not likely to happen. Kohler will probably NOT have anything other than repair parts for that valve. Brushed Nickle is a modern finish and was not even an option back then. You have to depend on the "after market" and resale vendors for what you want.

JaredPapania

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am curious how this turned out. I actually ran into the same problem you Mark. Did you call Kohler and were they an help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks