submersible pump wire

Users who are viewing this thread

tower_man

Reaction score
How critical is it that actual submersible pump wire be used as opposed to regular wire? The wire is attached to the drop pipe at 10' intervals and cable protectors are used.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used UF to submersible pumps installed in lakes and it has worked fine. You need to get a good connection to the solid wire and I have used rosin core solder after crimping to get good connections with silver or tin plated crimp connectors; then cover each connection with the special shrink tubing that is always used with submersible pump connections.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I suppose you can use any wire you want as long as it's large enough to carry the amperage required and you remember what colors went where if it's a three wire motor.

bob...

Chris Tittle

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
It is very important to use the proper wire for the job

Make certain that the wire you use is UL listed for that purpose and is properly sized to 125% of the pump's full load amperage. It is also important to protect your circuit with the correct size GFCI breaker. If you have any uncertainties be certain to consult a qualified electrician in your area. Electricity can be very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing!

Chris

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wire sizing

When you are going to size your wire, don’t forget to factor in the, “voltage drop†factor. My well is 440 feet deep, and about 100' away from the power source and the power source is about another 100' away from the transformer. So not only factoring in the 125%, I also then, had to factor in for voltage drop.
I personally would stick with the right wire for the job….can’t go too wrong then.

Good luck!

Mike

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you stick with the right wire for the job that puts you right back with submersible pump cable. Which is what I would use.

I don't put a lot of faith in cable protectors. If you use the proper wire and tape it every ten feet using poly pipe, you won't have to worry about the wire.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks