Need to find high output torch for 2" copper

Users who are viewing this thread

SAVROOM

Reaction score
I need to find a high output torch to solder 2" and larger copper. Anyone recommend a good quality make/model?

I prefer propane since I also use it to char oak sticks for fermenting wine and need clean burning gas.

Last edited:

SAVROOM

Reaction score
there are all kinds of them. How much do you want to spend?

Under 100 dollars. Keep in mind I'm going to be using this also to toast/chat oak sticks for wine fermenting so the gas must be food-friendly (that eliminates oxy-acet, not sure about MAPP. Propane is food friendly).

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can solder 2" copper with a Propane torch costing less than $100.00, but you might want to have a book handy to read, because it will be a slow process heating it up enough.

SAVROOM

Reaction score
You can solder 2" copper with a Propane torch costing less than $100.00, but you might want to have a book handy to read, because it will be a slow process heating it up enough.

Are you saying that all propane torch burners are the same? I was thinking there were burners that put out more BTU's than the standard pencil flame burner.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A pencil flame torch would be completely useless for what you want to do, but the "turbo" flames need MAPP type gas to generate the high heat that a fast joint would need. He already discounted acetylene as a fuel.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I need to find a high output torch to solder 2" and larger copper. Anyone recommend a good quality make/model?

I prefer propane since I also use it to char oak sticks for fermenting wine and need clean burning gas.
The Bernzomatic 7000 is for Mapp or Propane, and with Mapp, I had no problem sweating 3" Copper joints. I have a TS4000 torch that came in a kit with a MAPP tank that I bought at the Orange Box Store , and I have used it without problems with propane too. I am not a plumber by trade, so it works fine for what I need it for. As far as it being good quality, I always thought it was, but the other day I used it outside to thaw some iced up rain gutters, and some water dripped into it and the igniter does not work any more. Maybe it will again when it dries out? I guess the Pietzo crystal unit was not designed to get wet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is not the Piezo crystal getting wet, but rather the surface it has to arc to to make a spark. Blow down the tip and that should get rid of the water. Propane in that torch is a lot "cooler" than the MAPP substitute we use now, (there is no more "pure' MAPP since the plant burned down).

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It is not the Piezo crystal getting wet, but rather the surface it has to arc to to make a spark. Blow down the tip and that should get rid of the water. Propane in that torch is a lot "cooler" than the MAPP substitute we use now, (there is no more "pure' MAPP since the plant burned down).
Thanks HJ. It was a few days ago that my torch got wet. When I tried it today, I guess it dried out enough to spark and light the torch. Since they started selling the little MAPP tanks at the hardware stores, I have not bought any propane for my torch(es). I do buy the camping size little chubby tanks for my camping Weber Q Barbeque though. I only mentioned that propane works with this torch for the benefit of the OP SAVROOM

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use more that one propane torch.

But really, go MAPP. Buying a new torch and and can of MAPP will be the same as renting a B tank.

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use more that one propane torch.

But really, go MAPP. Buying a new torch and and can of MAPP will be the same as renting a B tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; go MAPP.

Technically, it is NOT MAPP, it is something called "MAPP +" and is about 400 degrees cooler than "real MAPP" which is no longer produced.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
quote; go MAPP.

Technically, it is NOT MAPP, it is something called "MAPP +" and is about 400 degrees cooler than "real MAPP" which is no longer produced.
The 2 little 14.1 ounce tanks I have are both labeled " MAP PRO". I had no problem sweating 3 inch copper to cast brass tees when I worked on the last stack I did a couple of years ago. Many years ago ~40 or so, I used an MC tank with a turbo-torch (is that the correct name?) to do some work, and that was super hot, Back then I had to melt out the lead from a 3 inch cast iron stack to re-configure it, and not break up the fittings so I could reuse them. Its not my line of work back then or now, but when things need to get done,....................Also had full size Oxy Acetylene cutting/welding with cart and tanks in the late 70's, but got sold them years ago before I blew myself up.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mine says MAPP GAS.
Older tanks I had bought years ago were MAPP, but as HJ says, no more. a quote from Wikipedia, which is not necessarily all that trustworthy, but this is correct: "Current products labeled "MAPP" are in fact MAPP substitutes. These versions are stabilized liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) with high levels of propylene."

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Mine says MAPP GAS.

Must be an older tank. I bought up all the MAPP gas I could find as soon as I found out that it was no longer being produced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks