Increase Size of Service Line from Meter

Users who are viewing this thread

krustythekroom

Reaction score
I am currently adding on to my house. Our original house had 2 bathrooms, and the addition has added a third bathroom. During the underground plumbing inspection, it was noted that in order to sign off on the inspection we had to provide justification for keeping the 3/4" service line coming from the meter.

After much discussion with my plumber, my plan is to increase the service line to 1" from the meter and to abandon the old 3/4" line. The service line currently ties into the water heater by way of a tee fitting. The vertical member of the tee is the incoming service line, the left horizontal member feeds the water heater, and the right horizontal member feeds the rest of the house. The feeds to the rest of the house and the water heater are both 3/4".

My question is where can I tie the new 1" service line? Can I replace the current tee fitting with a 1" x 3/4" x 3/4" tee fitting and have the new service line come in and keep the rest of the existing plumbing as it is? Will this meet code, or do I need to bring the 1" line in somewhere else?

Thank you for any help.

krustythekroom

Reaction score
hj,

Thanks for the response. My plumber tried going through the code and determining the proper size, but after weeks of me asking if he had finished, he finally admitted he had never had to calculate it before. I wasn't too confident in his results, so I am taking the job on for myself. My dad works for a water company and runs line like this all of the time. Fortunately the rest of the plumbing is already complete and signed off.

What would you have done to justify the 3/4" line? I am glad on one hand to be sizing it up as it will move the line from under my slab foundation to being fully accesible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I am currently adding on to my house. Our original house had 2 bathrooms, and the addition has added a third bathroom. During the underground plumbing inspection, it was noted that in order to sign off on the inspection we had to provide justification for keeping the 3/4" service line coming from the meter.

After much discussion with my plumber, my plan is to increase the service line to 1" from the meter and to abandon the old 3/4" line. The service line currently ties into the water heater by way of a tee fitting. The vertical member of the tee is the incoming service line, the left horizontal member feeds the water heater, and the right horizontal member feeds the rest of the house. The feeds to the rest of the house and the water heater are both 3/4".

My question is where can I tie the new 1" service line? Can I replace the current tee fitting with a 1" x 3/4" x 3/4" tee fitting and have the new service line come in and keep the rest of the existing plumbing as it is? Will this meet code, or do I need to bring the 1" line in somewhere else?

Thank you for any help.

To be proper, it all should be sized.
That would mean replacing or at least adding pipes that are the correct size for the usage.
You now have a three bath home. Unless you like taking turns using the bathrooms, size it right now.
If you leave it undersized, you're only screwing yourself. :(
California uses the UPC code.
Here is a good link on sizing.

Sizing water lines for UPC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks