Water Leaking on back of house

Users who are viewing this thread

dngrmys

Reaction score
It could also be the shower valve or piping to the shower head pull the valve trim plate and remove the shower head and cap the pipe then turn the shower
on and see if it leaks if not then yes it is the pan

Thanks - The plumber did check the meter and did not see any leaks. Is it possible to only leak when it's turned on?

dngrmys

Reaction score
Maybe get some UV dye and light kit and pour the dye mixed with 5 gallon bucket of water into the shower, then at night shine the light around the foundation see if it glows green.

Hmm...Interesting trick. That sounds like a good idea. The plumber recommended that we plug up the drain then fill the shower up to the lip and check for leaks. I do like your idea, though. It sounds more fool proof.

Houptee

Reaction score
Yeh the UV dye is awesome for finding tiny leaks in car a/c systems and engine oil leaks etc. Just make sure you get the correct dye for water/coolant use not for oil leaks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It could also be the shower valve or piping to the shower head pull the valve trim plate and remove the shower head and cap the pipe then turn the shower
on and see if it leaks if not then yes it is the pan

This is a good idea. Before you pull out the pan, make sure it is the pan. :)

Checking the piping in the wall, good first step.
Then plugging shower drain, and filling with bucket.

And here's an odd one for you. I once saw a shower with no reason for a leak other than showering without closing the shower door.
Nine months later I asked the homeowner about the shower. Husband was showering with the shower door open. Before he figured out that one, I had cut drywall looking for a source. I had asked about showering habits before that too. I didn't get an honest answer the first time.

Last edited:

dngrmys

Reaction score
Checking the piping in the wall, good first step.

So, if my plumber already confirmed no leaks (through the water meter) would we still want to do this step?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So, if my plumber already confirmed no leaks (through the water meter) would we still want to do this step?

This would be to check the shower arm above the valve.
But if you plug the drain, and then fill the pan with buckets of water an let it set, and the water drains outside, then it's the pan.
You can check the pan first.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A broken hose faucet, like yours, can ONLY leak when it is turned on, (it would be a HUGE leak), and the pressure would drop INSTANTLY when it was turned off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks