How Do I Fix This?

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
The electric box is just hanging from the wires, which I'm pretty sure is a code violation. The previous homeowner (we just moved in) added that plumbing line to feed a refrigerator ice maker when he added a downstairs kitchen. You can see the bracket on the box where it used to be nailed to a stud. I'd like to move the plumbing out of the way so that I can re-attach the box. I'm just not sure what the best combination of fittings would be. 2014-02-14 09.33.28.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The picture might not show the whole story as clearly as need be. What kind of wire is going into that box, and what is is connected to?

Themp

Reaction score
To bad they ran the white pipe thru the black wires which will make it harder to secure the box to some kind of stud that you can add. Would seem you have to disconnect one of the black wires into the box so as to route it around the white pipe. Then when that is done secure the box to a stud of some sort you can add to the back wall by adding a 2 X 4 to the stud with the galvanized sheet metal. Or get a 2 X 6 attach to the stud with the galvanized metal to allow you to mount the box flat against the white pipe running down the back wall. That is the problem here the white pipe blocks mounting it in the wall. You might not even have to mess with the wires in the box with the 2 X 6 approach. So you would end up with the box mounted flat against the white pipe nailed to the protruding 2 x 6 that gives you the ability to mount the box out from the back wall.

SAS

Reaction score
I am more comfortable with electrical work than plumbing, but I think that it's going to be easier to move the pipe than to move the box. The cable to the left has very little slack in it, and it's difficult to trace where it's going. Without finding a place to add a box to that circuit and create some slack cable, it will be difficult to mount the box. On the other hand, I think I could move the pipe fairly easily; I'm just not sure what combination of fittings makes sense. I don't want to disrupt the rest of the plumbing, so I will start after the 90 degree elbow you see at the top of the picture. The alternatives I'm considering (but I'm happy to consider any better ideas) are:
1) Three 90 degree elbows
2) Two 45 degree elbows
3) Sharkbite fittings and pex tubing

I figure that any of those will allow me to put the box back on the stud behind the plumbing. Any suggestions as to which option I should choose?

Last edited:

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Wow, just wow.

Another mountain out of a molehill.

Just cut the pipe, either on horizontal or vertical piece.

Move the box to wherever it will go on the stud.

Glue in one coupling to finish.

I could have done it in the time it took me to type this.

Draining pipes are extra.:D

SAS

Reaction score
Apparently you're not only old - you're also cranky. Also I don't think you're solution will work well. If I put the box behind the pipe and then just re-attach things as they are, the box will be pushing against the pipe, and I didn't think you were supposed to have constant pressure on the pipe. So I do think that the pipe needs to be offset. And it will take me longer than it did to type this.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A pair of 45's to run the offset from the ceiling to a point below the junction box would be fine. The junction box cover must remain accessible.

My hope is that the wire is proper NM cable and not SOOW. It is hard to tell in the photo. NM cable is required to be properly fastened to the framing within 12" of the box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks