Which salt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You do need to up the dose for Pot cloride and its more expensive and it can be hard to find.

jennifersmith

Reaction score
Website
bestplumbing.com.au
Hi,

I think Solar salt is better to use in a softner because it contains a bit more water-insoluble matter than evaporated salt or pellets. It is obtained by the evaporation of seawater and has a sodium chloride content of 99.5%.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Most pellet , crystal, solar salt etc is just fine. Some salt will be regionally sourced to keep the cost down so you may notice some salts are very dirty compared to others, but they are usually much less expensive due to shipping costs.

it is important to remeber that salt will usually have purity claims on the bag. 99.5% pure means that each bag may have up to 1/4 pound of non salt impurities per bag. If you use 15 bags of salt per year, that is nearly 4 pounds of ??? in your brine tank so cleaning the brine tank may be advisable. Most pellet salts are 99.9% pure, and the binder is supposed to be water soluble so it should not leave any residue. My personal preference is solor crystal salt, we sold over 240,000 bags per year for commercial and industrial applications, no problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks