Which salt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I like the pellets. When I have seen percentages shown, the crystals were often higher % salt I am thinking, but looking at the Mortons, it looks like 99.8 for the solar but only 99.7% for the crystals. I expect there are differences in brands. I see Diamond solar extra course at 99.6% It seems like a close call.

http://www.cargill.com/salt/about/faqs/water-conditioning/index.jsp#q14 says
What type of salt should I buy for my softener?

The type of salt best suited to a particular softener will vary in accord with softener design. Usually, cabinet-style self-contained softeners require salt that is low in water-insoluble matter, while side-by-side units with separate salt holding tanks are easier to clean and therefore allow more flexibility in choosing a salt product. Usually, however, we recommend Diamond Crystal® Pellets with Softener Care™ Additive which are of a high salt purity.

I'm finding some little black specks in my solar salt. Will it hurt my softener?

No, solar salt is a natural product made by evaporating seawater. It is harvested much like an agricultural crop and consequently may contain minute inclusions such as earth, small pebbles, and other naturally occurring materials.

Since these inclusions are of a different density than the brine in the bottom of the salt keeper, they are generally left behind in the salt keeper. Lighter density materials, should they accompany the salt brine during regenerations, are usually flushed from the resin during the rinse cycle which follows regeneration.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12152632_pellets-vs-coarse-salt-water-softeners.html has some more info.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I was using the Green bag System Saver for a long time.

It claimed to be better for Iron removal.

They ran out, so I bought the regular Yellow bag, Never seen any difference.

I think I may have been wasting my money, At about a $3.00 a bag price difference.

The rising price of Salt is a rip off now a days. There are places that can not get rid of it, Desalination plants is a good example. But the cost of shipping has gone up.

Have Fun.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you mix the two?
Yes. The Morton iron removal salt is salt with citric acid added. Solar salt is sea salt from recent times, and pellets are made from mined salt.

They also sell blocks of salt made to go into softeners, which could be used if you have a salt grid or similar. They advertize these as dustless.

You can mix and match.

I don't know what is added to Morton System Saver II pellets, but this gives some information on the effect. http://www.asrcreviews.org/2013/05/...system-saver-ii-water-softening-salt-pellets/ The advertizing complaint was made by Cargil. I expect the patent number on the bag could lead to the difference.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
My experience in servicing softeners for many years is that mixing various types of salt causes problems, especially if the person is keeping the tank full of salt, which I suggest not to do. Solar crystal salt causes the fewest problems if any and always costs the least.

I you want a resin cleaner, Iron Out or Super IO is best but nothing added to the salt or into the salt tank cleans resin until the stuff is sucked into the resin tank during a regeneration...

Reach4

Reaction score
My experience in servicing softeners for many years is that mixing various types of salt causes problems, especially if the person is keeping the tank full of salt, which I suggest not to do. Solar crystal salt causes the fewest problems if any and always costs the least.
Solar crystals is a slight premium vs salt pellets in the stores that I see. Maybe that has been a recent change.

DonL

Reaction score
There would be no reason to mix types on a normal basis, I would not think.

What is the difference in Iron Out and Super IO ?

What is the recommended use rate ?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I haven't looked at salt prices in years but it takes more to make pellets than pieces of solar crystal although it takes longer to make it due to evaporation of salt water as opposed to mining. A higher price may be due to location, transportation etc.. Or simply due to the numbers of people wanting it.

Based on my experience, I don't buy the story of build up in a cabinet model softener being more than pellet residue if solar is used.

As to the difference in Super and reular Iron Out.... Well, one bottle has Super on the label in front of the Iron Out. Maybe a different formula but they both do the same job when used in a softener. There are other uses and my guess is that Super might be a stronger version but it is not needed for a softener. Super is more expensive.

The amount used per cuft depends on the volume of resin and ferrous iron in the water and how long since the resin has been cleaned. Usually from 1/4 dry measure cup for up to 1.5 cuft up to a cup in up to a 3 cuft, dissolved into like 2 gallons of water poured into the water in the salt tank and allowed to sit for 2 hours to allow the water to fully saturate with salt before doing a manual regeneration.

DonL

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about Iron Out Gary. I hope your motorhome is parked in a warm location. I am ready for spring.

How often should a person use the Iron Out ?

Have a great day.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
We have been in north central FL since May 2012 and it has gotten down to 28f a few nights but no complaints from us. It is 74 right now on its way to low 80s later this week, and it can stay there as far as I am concerned but it won't. Then we get into the heat and humidity for a few months.

I suggest using Iron Out every 4 or 6 weeks depending on the amount of iron in the water. That would be for 1 ppm or more. Actually I learned today there is only Super IO anymore.

DonL

Reaction score
I went to the local wal-fart today and was looking for the crystal salt.

They did not have it but they had Pool Salt.

Why would you want to put salt in your pool ?

I must be way behind the times.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Just in case you have a salt water swimming pool ;-) I also use Potassium Chloride in my water softener because it is easier on my wife's skin. Pricey, but worth it.

DonL

Reaction score
Just in case you have a salt water swimming pool ;-) I also use Potassium Chloride in my water softener because it is easier on my wife's skin. Pricey, but worth it.

I have thought about switching to Potassium Chloride. I have never tried it.

The price is getting close to salt prices now.

Does it last any longer ? Can you use a smaller dose ?

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Really?! The Potassium is about $19 bux for 40# bag. Lasts the same and I was told to keep the doses the same. I don't know any better, but maybe the pros will chime in.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Resins are made in the sodium form, not potassium and the chloride parts of either is not used so... if you are running the softener with salt efficiency in mind, to get the same K of capacity using potassium chloride you need to use (dose) from 6% to all but 30% more. Anyone doubting that can look up the manufacturer, that's what they say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks