American Standard Champion 4 toilet review and pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Turbocruiser

Reaction score
I too purchased this same toilet recently (05/2010) and have had zero problems thus far but after reading all the posts throughout just this one thread I sorta got spooked. The two big box stores that sell these locally both raved about them and their reliability and performance and even the local plumbing supply place (staffed by pros and shopped by pros) recommended them. I still need to purchase the replacement toilet for the downstairs back bathroom and was going to go with the Champion 4 again. Can someone with experience and expertise please advise me about the toilet that is already installed (keep it or return it), whether to get the same Champion 4 again, and whether anyone's really had problems with the redesigned toilet. Thanks So Much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbocruiser

Reaction score
Well to get the two sides to the story, I called AS yesterday and asked about the Champion 4. The person that I talked with seemed aware of all the problems the Champion 4 has had (pre 2007 models) but also seemed completely confident that the redesign (post 2007 models) fixed all the assorted concerns (flush gaskets leaking, tank-to-base gaskets leaking, etc.).

Additionally they told me that the bolts between the tank and the base do really require tightening to marry up the two surfaces. They said to simply tighten side to side equally in small steps until the surfaces touch.

Lastly, while the tech was completely confident in the redesign they were also very assuring that while nothing will likely happen, if I ever have any toilet trouble, they are there to provide the parts, give guidance, etc.

At least from that call my concerns were somewhat soothed but the there are tons of threads out there both criticizing and praising the Champion 4 and it is often hard to tell the toilet the person is talking about.

My preference is still to match the upstairs toilet with the downstairs toilet but before I take the plunge again I needed to know as much as possible from the folks here. If I have to mis-match to get a problem free toilet I will but it so far seems that the post 2007 Champion 4's corrected the concerns that came from the pre 2007 Champion 4's? Again any advice here is most appreciated. Thanks.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
9/10/2010

I bought three of these in 2009 and they are, without question, the best toilets I've ever used. They NEVER clog and flush better than my old 6 gallon toilets ever did. I do have to replace a valve seal now because one of them has started running, but AS is sending it right out. I also had one leak between the tank and the bowl, but that was due to overtightening. The installation is tricky because they don't exactly seat naturally, you have to be carefully to even it out. A torque wrench would probably not be a bad idea. But once it's set up, it's fantastic. AS did tell me that if it's running, one interim fix you can try while waiting for a new seal, is to turn the old one upside down. I'm about to try that on mine.

Craig Buck

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
9/26/2010

I had the toilet installed in march 2009 and have had to have 2 valves installed but it now is leaking bad again, my suggestion is to stay away from the Champion4. R Craven 9/2010

champion_cathy.jpg

Made in Mexico

Belmontj

Reaction score
So I purchased the Champion 4 from HD; it shows a 2010 model date. It flushes well. I purchased it based on CR recommendations. I’m not a Plumber. I’ve experienced some of the same issues as prior postings; specifically the tank to bowl connection. No leaks or wobble, but

1) The tank will not sit flush to the back ribs. The front ribs have made contact. I can’t tighten any more without applying significant torque
2) The diagram for the gasket at the AS website is nothing like the gasket that comes with the toilet. There is no “tapered end”

I don't understand the conflicts with how it was designed to sit and the actual install. It seems contradictory that both the front and back should contact the ribs, but don't over tighten. How do you know when it’s over tightened? When you have 1.6 gallons of water on the floor?

ImpliedConsent

Reaction score
1) The tank will not sit flush to the back ribs. The front ribs have made contact. I can’t tighten any more without applying significant torque
2) The diagram for the gasket at the AS website is nothing like the gasket that comes with the toilet. There is no “tapered endâ€

I don't understand the conflicts with how it was designed to sit and the actual install. It seems contradictory that both the front and back should contact the ribs, but don't over tighten. How do you know when it’s over tightened? When you have 1.6 gallons of water on the floor?

I put even pressure on the tank, alternating front and back. During that, I also alternated tightening left and right, continuing even pressure on the tank. This eliminates the front rib only contact. Just do not tighten the screwhead from inside the tank, use a socket wrench on the nut from underneath. The "taper" I believe they are talking about is the tapered hole in the toilet itself.

Hobbspal

Reaction score
I've got a newer version purchased in 08-09ish. first gasket blistered, I installed AS blue replacement and worked for about a year then started leaking. I replaced it with the one at Lowes and in a short time (3 weeks) it started leaking. visual inspection showed no defects in the blue on or the red one. tearing my few that remain hairs out. I'm curious if the red o-ring on the black screw thingy can be a culprit.....

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
American Standard Champion 4 series toilet from Home Depot

Purchased an American Standard Champion 4 series toilet from Home Depot approx. one year ago. It has been leaking for over a month. I went to Home Depot for parts, a mistake. They do not stock parts and recommended a local Plumbing supply that was supposed to carry American Standard. They did not. I have tried to tie the part number down and have finally lowered myself to guessing by comparing pictures to the valve assembly. Have not been able to find service department at American Standard. Whether this valve works or not the next step will be to remove and replace the toilet. I am totally over American Standard.
Clearwater FL

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
There's a 10-year warranty on the Champion. Call American Standard and they will send you the replacement seal and/or flush valve.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, I can finally add to this list of complaints with the Champion 4 toilet. I had to see it for myself first hand what's so awful about these toilets and so off to do the unthinkable and buy one I did. Ordered it from a local plumbing supply house picked it up 3 weeks later, got it home took the bowl out of the box and found the bowl with a terrible defect...it leaned over severely to the left. For whatever reason that possessed me I still installed the thing and then realized it looked even worse in it's location then when I got it out of the box.
Ended up driving me crazy and I ripped it out a day later and traded it for a Cadet 3 at the supply house, which for your money is a FAR better value over this so called "Champion", the difference between the Cadet 3 and Champion 4 is almost unbelievable.

What kind of company makes there cheaper toilet the better one. (I knew this all along but wanted to try the Champion out anyway)

for 250 dollars the Drake sure is the best bang for your buck (I knew this all along too, but wanted to see first hand how awful the "competitor" really was), that and I was getting bored of the perfect no maintenance impeccable quality of the two Drakes in our house.

Anyway, I've got some pictures here to show just how bad this thing leaned over, and the porcelain wasn't that great of quality either...

gusherb94_3.jpg

gusherb94_1.jpg

gusherb94_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Now would you expect a professional plumber to install a bowl that was leaning like that in your home?
How much time do you suppose you wasted going back and exchanging the bowl. I don't know what you do for a living, but can you imagine telling your boss that you just wasted four hours exchanging something, so the entire morning was lost? How much money can a plumber bill for in four hours? And all of this because nobody is checking the products before they are being shipped out?

And you wonder why plumbers are pleading with their customers to buy something pre-inspected at the factory. I sell all the brands, including Kohler and American Standard, Gerber and Caroma, but of all of them, you should have stuck with Toto.
Thanks for the pictures and the story. Now you know we aren't making this stuff up. It happens.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I knew all along that nobody was making this up. When I test toilets I like to test more then just one brand, so that's why I don't just stick with Toto, but for any person looking for a done right the first time toilet, Toto NO DOUBT.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
April 18th 2011, Champion

AS, (pronounced ass) should be ashamed of themselves. We have spent more than our share of Saturdays trying to fix the messed up sliding gripper inside the flush valve. It constantly comes undone. Apparently there is a newly redesigned flush valve available for 26 dollars. The last plumber cost $225. for his unsuccessful visit. We're going to try this. Normally, we just reach in the tank and pull up the tower to flush. When guests come, I hate having to give them the embarrassing tutorial! =

Susan S.

Dave in WI

Reaction score
attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

That would be just perfect if you have a sloping floor! Provided the floor slopes the right way...Maybe they make these in "rights" and "lefts"?

All kidding aside, that's unbelievably bad. I've had great luck with my Champion 4 but after seeing that, I don't know that I'd buy another one.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Damn that looks like a leaning tower of poop!

Every time I see a bunch of new replies on this thread it reminds me of why I stopped supplying Am Std products to my customers back in the day of the Champion I...

I knew I couldn't afford Am Std's Quality Control.... Or, lack thereof...

Cattonline

In the Trades
Reaction score
My advice is DO NOT BUY THIS TOILET! Here's why:

In 2009 I remodeled/updated a couple of bathrooms in my home and decided to replace all of the toilets (so they would match). The original toilets that were installed in 1994 were Briggs, and they never flushed well. This time I wanted toilets that would not choke on a piece of toilet paper, so fell for Champion's claim that the Champion 4 could flush a bucket of golf balls. I bought three Champion 4 toilets model #4266 and installed them. So far, I haven't noticed any problems with the the toilets that were installed in the master bathroom or the downstairs bathroom, BUT the toilet installed in the MAIN upstairs bathroom has leaked almost constantly from the day it was installed. The water in the tank leaks out to a point near the top of the gray/green tower. So, I assume the water is slowly leaking at the seal or at the chain attachment at the top of the flush tower...

I did register the toilets with American Standard after purchasing them, so when I noticed the toilet leaking I called customer service and they sent me out a new seal. I replaced the seal and the toilet kept losing water. It's been so long ago that I don't remember all of the details, but at one point it seemed that water was leaking out of the black plug at the top of the tower where the chain attaches. I called customer service again, and they didn't have a solution for that. So I installed a washer around the plug and thought that helped for a while, but it has basically leaked from the day it was installed.

Since there are 2 other toilets here, I have resorted to turning the water off and on at the shut off valve to keep from wasting so much water (water/sewer costs are very high in my city!). About a month ago I called AS customer service again and told them it was STILL leaking. They sent out a new flush tower which I had the pleasure of installing about a week ago. Besides the constant leaking, the toilet is designed with a porcelain lip that hangs down along the sides of the base which makes it very difficult to access the nuts on the tank bolts. You can't see or find the bolts without lying down on your back on the floor and becoming some sort of contortionist. I have to thank the MORON for his lack of intelligence in coming up with this terrible design (It must have taken all of 2 brain cells....).

Anyhow, I was hopeful that this would fix the problem but I wanted to test it out. So after installing it, I allowed the tank to fill and then I turned off the water valve so it couldn't refill. Over night, the water level dropped to the top of the tower again; at the level of the gasket. How disappointing! Once again, I have to wonder what MORON designed this horrible toilet, and what MORON at American Standard approved the design? After reading about so many other people who have had the same problems, it seems criminal for AS to be able to continue selling this junk!

So yesterday I called customer service AGAIN to complain about the continual leaking. This time I was told that they would send me a new tank with new innards already installed. BUT, before they would send me the new tank, I would have to send them a copy of my original receipt, a photo of the toilet and a photo of the inside of the tank! So I spent approximately 14 hours digging through files yesterday with no luck. Then this morning I finally found one and emailed the "PROOF" of purchase and leaking to customer service so that I can eventually get a replacement tank. I can't help but wonder if they think I STOLE this piece of junk and WHY they were previously willing to send me the gaskets and the flush tower without the receipt and photos, but now they want proof of the purchase and photos of their stupid toilet? It seems to me that they were hoping I didn't have the receipt so that they could deny coverage under the warranty. I guess they don't know who they are dealing with...(someone who is obsessive about keeping receipts & booklets for just about everything purchased, and especially things that have a warranty. He, he, he).

When I spoke with the man at customer service yesterday, I asked him; "What if the toilet continues to leak after I install the new tank with new innards"? He said that the odds of me receiving another bad tank/innards would be "astronomically" rare and that if it leaks, the problem would have to be with the installation!!?? What a bunch of BS! I also asked him if the leaking was a major problem with this toilet. He said they have had problems with some of the older seals, but that the new seals and/or tower should have fixed the problem. Huh. I'm thinking that response is the company line...

Well, I tell you what, I have absolutely NO CONFIDENCE that a new tank with new innards will stop the leaking. I am convinced (after reading other posts here) that the toilet design is DEFECTIVE and that AS just won't fess up to the problem. I think that while I am waiting for the new tank to arrive, I will begin shopping for a Toto toilet. Maybe I can put this toilet on Craigslist and get a few bucks off this one, but I hate to pass the problem on to someone else. (Well, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal for someone who had a flat water/sewer rate). It sure seems to me that there should be a CLASS ACTION SUIT against American Standard for their defective Champion 4 toilet!

I'll try to give an update after I get the new tank installed and have had a chance to test it for leaks.

Cattonline

In the Trades
Reaction score
Champion Class Action Lawsuit?

Because I, and some other people at various forums have been wondering if there is an active AS Champion class action suit, I started searching the web. I haven't found a recent class action lawsuit but found one that was denied on Sept. 23, 2010. There is some interesting information in the lawsuit like; Champion knew that there were leaking problems with their original Champion toilets and they did not disclose the problems to the public, rather they relied on customers to complain to customer service for replacement parts. The newer tower design (gray & green) was an attempt to fix the problems they had with the original tower. And, if you go to the bottom of page 15 of the court document, it says that it is it's (AS) practice to REIMBURSE plumbing costs and/or water costs IF THE CUSTOMER REQUESTS IT. So my next step will be to email AS customer service with my request for reimbursement costs to have a plumber install the new tank and for excess water/sewer charges I have incurred since 2009. Within the court document, it lists the gallons per day wasted by the Champion toilet so I will use that figure to determine gallons wasted and my estimated excess water/sewer charges caused by the defective toilet.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
American Standard. Made in Mexico with sub standard clay. Prone to have quality control issues mostly due to the clay that is too wet. A 25% return rate has many plumber shying way from AS. You would be much better off with a Toto. Toto makes toilets in several places, including Georgia. All of their manufacturing sites have the proper kind of clay and high quality control. Less than 1% return rate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks