Wet vent stack

Users who are viewing this thread

jjgmorgan

Reaction score
I have a 3" vertical wet vent stack. It has the toilet connection at the bottom then the tub, then lav, all these are using the stack as a drain and vent. The kitchen sink is also connected to the stack for drain only, it has its own vent. My question is can I run a 2" drain line from the washing machine into the stack above the others as a drain? I will vent the washer with its own vent. Will that create a problem in the wet stack?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the tub and the lav are connected below the water closet, they must be separately vented. There are very few places where a vertical wet vent is permitted at all.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If the tub and the lav are connected below the water closet, they must be separately vented. There are very few places where a vertical wet vent is permitted at all.

I think he is saying that the water closet is the lowest, then the tub and lav above.

And he wants to know if it's a problem to drain a washing machine into the stack above all of that. And the answer to that is of course "yes".

JJG -- Dude, Code aside, the simple way to think of it is whether the water running into the stack above the other non-vented items will siphon the traps on those items. So -- does a huge burst of water out of a draining washing machine and into that stack have the potential to siphon the traps of your tub and lav?

See? Easy to answer without even referencing the Code.

Last edited:

jjgmorgan

Reaction score
If the answer is yes, it will create a problem to drain the washer into the wet stack how do you fix it? The toilet is on the bottom of the stack. Do you dry vent all the fixtures? Can the CW stay wet vented at the bottom of the stack?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer isn't a fixture that can be wet vented.
Only bathroom groups on the same floor.

A washer will siphon all the traps below it.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i'll start the squabbling - LOL - our code would allow it... up to 8 fixture units on a 3" wet vent....in theory with it being separately vented and draining to a 3" stack it should have enough "breathing capacity" as it drains that it wont create a siphon on other traps.

jjgmorgan

Reaction score
I was going to dry vent the washer and only drain it into the stack. If I dry vented all the fixtures, and the washer, can I drain them all into the stack? My main sewer pipe runs under ground from the street, and come up out of the ground under the bathroom in the crawl space where the 3" wet stack goes vertically to the roof and all the fixtures in the house are drained into that stack. Could the washer, dry vented, drain into the wet stack below the fixtures?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was going to dry vent the washer and only drain it into the stack. If I dry vented all the fixtures, and the washer, can I drain them all into the stack? My main sewer pipe runs under ground from the street, and come up out of the ground under the bathroom in the crawl space where the 3" wet stack goes vertically to the roof and all the fixtures in the house are drained into that stack. Could the washer, dry vented, drain into the wet stack below the fixtures?

It's always okay to bring in a line below the other fixtures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks