Question on P Trap. S trap for kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

C@TCH

Reaction score
I had to tighten the loose taps on my mothers sink in her 2 yr old condo. When I cleared out under the sink I noticed there's no trap. I never seen a sink with no trap, both bathrooms have it.
She's on 2nd for of a condo, if that makes a difference.
Is this normal or should I install one.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I had to tighten the loose taps on my mothers sink in her 2 yr old condo. When I cleared out under the sink I noticed there's no trap. I never seen a sink with no trap, both bathrooms have it.

It might make a difference in that your Mom's condo association bylaws may require that all plumbing be done by a licensed plumber. I don't know what plumbing code applies where you are, but whether or not it's to code, it should have a trap. That the condo was sold to her without meeting code (at least here it wouldn't) might be a basis to have the developer charged with the repair by a licensed plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

I would want a trap on the sink. Does the drain come from the wall? or the floor?

C@TCH

Reaction score
That's true,but what I'm thinking is there's other condos below and finished ceilings. If trap is below how would one ever access it, I think they just forgot to install one in kitchen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is below the floor, you do NOT "access" it. Any work on the drain line has to be through the connection to the sink. Very poor plumbing installation, but it is probably cheaper.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's true,but what I'm thinking is there's other condos below and finished ceilings. If trap is below how would one ever access it, I think they just forgot to install one in kitchen.

Showers and bathtubs have inaccessible traps and can be cleared with a snake as this one could.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
this would be done with a non-union p-trap below the floor - our code does call for a cleanout connection on the trap arm that would extend into the cabinet and be accessible for service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks