How critical is it to "justify" the control on a Hansgrohe trim on an iBox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boink

Reaction score
As my plumber is returning to replace a bushing in new bathroom (see thread on burst of rusty water), I was chatting with a Hansgrohe rep that said that a lot of plumbers do not bother to "justify" the temperature control on the trim covering an iBox. I understand (per the installation manual - that I know many don't read) that one is supposed to assess the water temperature and set the mixing control such that it has a stop facing 6 o'clock for 100F and the second stop at 110F. I could have this "fixed" when he's here, but do I need to?

As mine was installed, the second stop turns out to be nicely where we like it (108F or so) and that is definitely not at 6 o'clock (more like 2 o'clock all the time). Currently, we just leave it there all the time and that seems to work fine. This means that the first 90 degree sweep of the temp. control at 6 o'clock is mostly just cold water (useless). But, again, all seems well.

So, my question is should we do the official "justify" operation for the trim???

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As my plumber is returning to replace a bushing in new bathroom (see thread on burst of rusty water), I was chatting with a Hansgrohe rep that said that a lot of plumbers do not bother to "justify" the temperature control on the trim covering an iBox. I understand (per the installation manual - that I know many don't read) that one is supposed to assess the water temperature and set the mixing control such that it has a stop facing 6 o'clock for 100F and the second stop at 110F. I could have this "fixed" when he's here, but do I need to?

As mine was installed, the second stop turns out to be nicely where we like it (108F or so) and that is definitely not at 6 o'clock (more like 2 o'clock all the time). Currently, we just leave it there all the time and that seems to work fine. This means that the first 90 degree sweep of the temp. control at 6 o'clock is mostly just cold water (useless). But, again, all seems well.

So, my question is should we do the official "justify" operation for the trim???

Most plumbers don't carry a temperature gauge with them.
I found some in the kitchen tools department, those things you stick in turkeys. They do come in handy sometimes.
Plumbers find this whole thing confusing, the part about adjusting the valves from the factory. I already find that it takes 2-3 times longer, maybe four times longer to install the trim on these.
If you're happy with how yours is set, then I'm happy too. They do "lock-in" pretty well.

spaces_hg_02.jpg

Last edited:

Boink

Reaction score
Most plumbers don't carry a temperature gauge with them.
I found some in the kitchen tools department, those things you stick in turkeys. They do come in handy sometimes.
Plumbers find this whole thing confusing, the part about adjusting the valves from the factory. I already find that it takes 2-3 times longer, maybe four times longer to install the trim on these.
If you're happy with how yours is set, then I'm happy too. They do "lock-in" pretty well.

spaces_hg_02.jpg

Thanks Terry. That's exactly what I suspected and I think I should leave it as-is (perfectly functional). The Hansgrohe rep seemed very certain but I really don't see why.

I do have one of those thermal "guns" with a laser pointer so I can easily check temp... but it does seem like a lot of work for questionable reasons (given the anti-scald stops seem in the right places and we don't mind not having 100F at 6 o'clock).
- Mark

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Most plumbers don't carry a temperature gauge with them.

I have an infrared thermometer, but in some cases the water heater is not even turned on when the trim is installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boink

Reaction score
The directions pages do make it look easy to do (i.e., setting the stops and then aligning the handle). Given our water heater setting (120F), it seems like the second stop is the sweet spot and the first stop is useless. That might be my only issue (though not a serious one). For those that know this trim, this means that 110F is at about 2 o'oclock and not 6.

1.jpg

2.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Boink

Reaction score
And to put this one to bed, doing the justification thing WAS a good idea. Did it, and it turns out to produce a better range or temperature results. It's really rather easy to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks