Air jet tubs - opinions and brands

Users who are viewing this thread

TrevorK

Reaction score
We have been looking to install a jetted tub into our bathroom and have settled on air jets for the cleaning aspect (we have been told that water jets require more maintenance and have a greater amount of bacteria/etc... inside because of the sitting water). However, the only problem is that we have only been in water jet tubs and cannot find any sort of showroom that can demo the power of the air jets.

Are they, in general, that much softer than water jets? What throws us off is that some tubs seem to have 40-50 air jets and others only have a dozen.

What are your thoughts on air jet tubs? Any experience with the lower-mid brands ($3000 or less)? So far it seems we have been pointed to Mirolin and Maax for brands because Kohler and BainUltra are well over $3000 (Canadian).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The air tub I have is a 6' Jason International tub. Jason is a son of the Jacuzzi's who wanted to do his own thing. I'm trying to remember about what I paid for it, but think it was less than $2k, but that was also about 9-years ago, too. The options were several: adjustable LED lighting, and two different controllers for adjusting the air turbine speed (I have the air switch - the other they had was an electronic module that offered cycling motor speed and automatic drying after a shower). I bought it because it isn't damaged by running the motor when not full, you can use pretty much whatever you want in the water, and it blow-dries its internal passages when done, making cleaning more efficient and reliable.

It does not give as vigorous an action as pumping water jets, but it does help. It is a little noisier than jets. Mine has a hole about every 3-4" all around the tub. You do need a path for the air to get to the turbine. The act of compressing it heats it up, but it needs at least room temperature air, and not be pulling from just inside the walls and maybe air leaks from outside. It relies on the compression to heat the air, it does not have an optional heater like the water jets do. I tend to start out with the water a bit hotter, as it does cool off a little along the way. Mine runs 20-minutes, then off for 15, then on for 2 to dry itself out. You can run it longer by restarting if you wish, or shorter, but after stopping, the 15/2 timer is fixed.

The local showroom had a few brands, but suggested this one as a good alternative.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; inside because of the sitting water

And what makes you think that water will NOT be sitting inside the air jet piping, once the motor is turned off?

Western

Reaction score
Air Jets with a Timer

Most Air systems do have a timer or water sensor. Once you get out of the tub it will blow the lines dry.

And what makes you think that water will NOT be sitting inside the air jet piping, once the motor is turned off?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

Many automatically turn the air turbine on after a delay to purge any moisture (on mine, it's 15-minutes after it ran its course). If it does not have an automatic sensor to do that and you do not turn it on manually, then, yes, there will be water in the passageways. Try to do that with a whirlpool, and you'll burn the motor out.

TrevorK

Reaction score
The air tub I have is a 6' Jason International tub. Jason is a son of the Jacuzzi's who wanted to do his own thing. I'm trying to remember about what I paid for it, but think it was less than $2k, but that was also about 9-years ago, too. The options were several: adjustable LED lighting, and two different controllers for adjusting the air turbine speed (I have the air switch - the other they had was an electronic module that offered cycling motor speed and automatic drying after a shower). I bought it because it isn't damaged by running the motor when not full, you can use pretty much whatever you want in the water, and it blow-dries its internal passages when done, making cleaning more efficient and reliable.

It does not give as vigorous an action as pumping water jets, but it does help. It is a little noisier than jets. Mine has a hole about every 3-4" all around the tub. You do need a path for the air to get to the turbine. The act of compressing it heats it up, but it needs at least room temperature air, and not be pulling from just inside the walls and maybe air leaks from outside. It relies on the compression to heat the air, it does not have an optional heater like the water jets do. I tend to start out with the water a bit hotter, as it does cool off a little along the way. Mine runs 20-minutes, then off for 15, then on for 2 to dry itself out. You can run it longer by restarting if you wish, or shorter, but after stopping, the 15/2 timer is fixed.

The local showroom had a few brands, but suggested this one as a good alternative.

Thanks, I'll take a look and see if we can get that brand up here.

Edwardh1

Reaction score
we have had a Jason air tub for 5 years, well made, has the timer operated feateure that blows the water out of the tubs jets after you turn it off, does a good jon at that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks