laundry room drain mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

CJAM

Reaction score
I'll admit I don't know much about plumbing but I do have a fair bit of DIY experience. Here is my mystery (two actually), I'm about to start a laundry room reno to replace some mouldy drywall and I'm planning to open up a boxed in corner that hid some plumbing to see if I can squeeze a few extra inches of space. It's a bit awkward to get at so the photo is taken looking straight down from above.
IMG-20140208-00114.jpg

On the left is the drain from the laundry tub and the air vent. Towards the right is the main stack
The drain from the laundry tub to the main stack has this off-shoot with the Y-connection which angles out and then straight up about 2 feet. It ends in another Y, which is un-capped. What purpose does this serve? Another air vent, or just something to collect dust and cobwebs? Could this be an alternate drain for the washer instead of going in the laundry tub?
The second photo is my second mystery. Stuck in one side of the open Y is a plastic hose, it goes in about 2". The other end then meanders up to the ceiling, along the joists and into the nearby room where the hot water tank is, but it just ends, it is not attached to anything. Is there a purpose for this? I can't think of anything?
It's a townhouse, built in the late 70's, in Ontario.
IMG-20140209-00117.jpg
Maybe this is obvious to someone but I am in the dark and would like to know before I start making any changes. Thanks for any help.

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Not really a mystery, but a mess for sure. You have an open drain with no trap. Not good... I'd finish your demo, post some pictures or drawings showing your plan, then maybe we can offer some advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks