toilet seal temperature?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
So I just reinstalled my littlebottoms kid sized toilet after having a tile floor installed. I put the seal with flange on the bottom of the bowl and pressed into place. Hooked it up and flushed. It leaked a little so I pulled it and pressed another just wax seal onto the other seal. On the box it said "for optimal sealing temp should be above 70"
So before I turn this toilet on I put a space heater to get the temp up to about 80 for a few hours.
I will press bowl down again and then tighten bolts.
Does anyone see a problem with this?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I do not see a problem with it.

Without pictures it is hard to see.

Can_Of_Worms.jpg

Have a Great Day.

Good Luck.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing your problem is the result of the wax rings being improperly placed. In new construction, a flange should be set on top of the finished floor. However, when new flooring is added, the result is a recessed flange, and 2 rings will be needed. Where you erred is putting the funneled ring on the flange first. The ring without the funnel should be set on the flange first, then the funneled ring on top of that. You do need to be sure the toilet is set straight down on the rings. This can be a little tricky, but if you will use a couple of extra nuts to secure the flange bolts to the flange in an upright position, it is much easier to keep the toilet straight. Once in place, use just your body weight to press the toilet into the wax. The flange bolts are just to secure the toilet, not to pull it down. Wax rings should be at or near room temperature.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless the flange is above the finished floor, it will take two wax rings.
The instructions that come with the wax box show sticking a single wax ring on the bowl.

Plumbers don't do that. We have to warranty our work.

I can't tell you how many times I've followed flooring guys, pulled the bowl and found a single wax ring right over the drain, and leaking. The wax ring can fall off the bowl and drop anywhere. Placing the wax ring(s) on the closet flange ensures that it's in the correct location.

The wax gets placed on the closet flange, two rings if the top of the flange is lower than the floor.
The bowl then gets set on that. You should feel the wax compress. If you feel nothing, then it's not sealed.

Last edited:

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
That did the trick. Good thing and bad thing i ran the space heater. Good because the room with the outside basement wall would never have gotten over 70 without it, bad because running the heater meant i didnt realize that the boiler had gone out until 8 pm. Luckily for all of us i dont have to open that can of worms. I have a policy with the local pseg company to fix it. $9 a month they fix it, whether it takes 15 minutes or 6 hours.
The littlebortoms one piece toilet is

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
That did the trick. Good thing and bad thing i ran the space heater. Good because the room with the outside basement wall would never have gotten over 70 without it, bad because running the heater meant i didnt realize that the boiler had gone out until 8 pm. Luckily for all of us i dont have to open that can of worms. I have a policy with the local pseg company to fix it. $9 a month they fix it, whether it takes 15 minutes or 6 hours.
The littlebottoms one piece toilet is Pretty sweet. It went in easy and required almost no adjustment. It came with a tiny seat. I called to ask a question and a guy in Colorado picked up and was helpful and told me to get the ring with the flange.
We've been using it for 6months and it works.
Unless you are a daycare or a dwarf it really only needs to last a few years. Though if i were a dwarf i might have mixed feelings about the name printed on it "littlebottoms" but then again if i were a dwarf i would have a little bottom.
Not being a dwarf i will say, this toilet may require two flushes for a man sized #2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The wax, like lots of things, gets harder as it gets cold, so it can be misleading when you get it fully squished and the toilet bedded properly. An alternative would be to use a waxless seal or one of the closed cell foam ones which should be about the same, regardless of the temperature (within reason, of course). Wax is, by far, the least expensive and most common option, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks