Mixer valve or larger tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Queen50

Reaction score
We have a 40 gal electric hot water tank about 6 years old. It was always adequate for the two of us, but our household has temporarily grown to 7, and we added a 3-piece bath in the basement.

Sometimes we run low on hot water, what with all the showers, laundry, dishwasher running more often, etc. Would a mixing valve on the hot water tank help? I would like to avoid a bigger tank, as I expect them to move on in a year.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could try just turning up the temperature on the hot water heater. I would add a mixing valve if you have small children etc in the home that may burn themselves.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Codes vary, but where I live, a tempering valve is required on all WH installations, or replacements. Yes, running it hotter with a mixing valve will make it function as a larger tank with lower temps. Standby losses go up because there's a bigger temperature differential, but depending on the tank, it may not be much.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tempering valves are not required on the water heater. The dishwasher, clothes washer and who knows what else are allowed to get hot water. There are places that require the tempering valves for bath tubs, sinks, and showers. You could meet that by using the valve for all of your formerly hot water, but you can do it more selectively too.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tempering valves are not required on the water heater. The dishwasher, clothes washer and who knows what else are allowed to get hot water. There are places that require the tempering valves for bath tubs, sinks, and showers. You could meet that by using the valve for all of your formerly hot water, but you can do it more selectively too.

NH has amended the IPC requirement to include culinary purposes, cleaning, laundry, or building maintenance...so, since a WH can easily be set higher, to prevent exceeding the max temperature requirement, while it doesn't say you need a tempering valve, since it could easily exceed the max, you need to install one. Effectively, where I live, you must have one to pass an inspection. http://www.nh.gov/safety/boardsandcommissions/bldgcode/documents/bcr300.pdf#page=20

As I said, where I live, you need one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks