Where to drain water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

suburbsdiyguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I am installing a water softener in the basement of my home which was built in 2011. There is not any apparent drain location, and the sump pump is across a finished part of the basement so very difficult to access (and I don't really want to ruin the sump pump with salty water anyway). So, I appreciate guidance on the following options.

1 - The softener manual says the discharge line can run up to 8' above the unit. This would allow me to try to run the line through an existing punch-out in the floor above the softener and to a laundry room, in to a utility tub. I'm just not comfortable that running the discharge upward won't reduce the life of the softener.

2 - There is an end-of-line 3" sewer cleanout sticking up out of the slab in the basement near where I want to put the softener. I could add a tee to this, preserving the function of the cleanout, but also adding a standpipe connected to a p-trap. The issue here would be venting.

3 - There is a powder room in the basement, which has a sink that ties into the sewer line and is vented up through the roof. Tying in to this seems to be the most proper connection, but I'm unsure if I should tie-in above or below the sink drain. This is also the most complicated install in my opinion. Attached is a picture of the set-up.

Powder Room Set-up.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Chances are that the lavatory is providing the vent for all of the fixtures in the bath group, so unless you can prove otherwise the connection should not be made there.

Reach4

Reaction score
1 - The softener manual says the discharge line can run up to 8' above the unit. This would allow me to try to run the line through an existing punch-out in the floor above the softener and to a laundry room, in to a utility tub. I'm just not comfortable that running the discharge upward won't reduce the life of the softener.

It is the water pressure that is moving that discharge-- not a pump inside the softener. If the maker says you can have 8 feet of elevation, I think you should feel safe with that. Use 1/2 inch or bigger tubing or pipe.

suburbsdiyguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far. I read-up and found that the discharge line can only go 8' above the floor, so routing a line to the utility tub on the floor above is no longer an option.

It sounds like the trend is toward using the clean-out. I did determine that the clean-out is not "end-of-line", but rather in-line between the basement powder room and the city sewer outlet. So, I'm thinking of the same standpipe set-up mentioned above, but with a studor vent after the trap. Below is a sketch:

Standpipe set-up sketch 2.jpg

Additional advice is appreciated!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Where I live you can just run in onto the ground.

We avoid running it into a septic tank.

New regulations make it harder, now a days.

My guess is that running it into a city sewer will be banned soon.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can try that. I would put the studor on the top of a section of pipe so that it is higher than the inlet of the standpipe. If the drainage backs up or splashes, you don't want to contaminate the vent valve.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think there's a difference between a T and a "sanitary T" and you should use the latter, but I'm no expert.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The "floor" is not correct, it is 8' up from the drain line connection on the control valve. The "floor" is illogical, water pressure moves the water flow from where it exits the softener/filter. It, the same water pressure, also provides water flow at all the fixtures above the softener's level in the building.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
What type of softener? Can you post a picture. The drain height is a guideline. I have easily drained softeners in excess of 20' up. The problem is the injector, you need to make sure you have adequate brine draw due to the back pressure on the venturi injection system. Municipal supplies at 80 PSI can easily push through the back pressure, a well set at 30-50 would have problems.

suburbsdiyguy

Reaction score
Thanks. It's a kenmore ultra high efficiency. I have well water and the pressure is adequate at each faucet but not strong by any means.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I have never tried to run one of those softeners outside of their book specs so i wont comment on the drain height. The Fleck, Clack, and Autortrol can all be easily "tweaked" for excessive drain heights, lengths, etc. The Kenmore... I would stick to their specs.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A well pump run at 30/50 psi with the correct captive air pressure in the pressure tank (29 psi air pressure for 30/50 psi with no water in the tank) gets an average of 40 psi water pressure, it will certainly feed fixtures at 20'.

If you are concerned about that, raise the air pressure to 39 psi and set the pressure switch to 40/60 psi. And use at least 5/8" OD polyethylene tubing as the drain line. Or use schedule 40 3/4" PVC but, this mention of 20' is totally distracting and does not apply to you.

Also, you said; 1 - The softener manual says the discharge line can run up to 8' above the unit. This would allow me to try to run the line through an existing punch-out in the floor above the softener and to a laundry room, in to a utility tub. I'm just not comfortable that running the discharge upward won't reduce the life of the softener.

What makes you incorrectly assume that that would reduce the life of the softener? Millions of softeners' drain line goes up 8' from the drain line fitting without problems because your manual says from the top of the softener.

It would take a long time for a sump pump to be ruined with the drain water because the softener rinses for a number of minutes at its highest flow rate gpm of the drain water flow, so the sump pit won't have much salt water in it because the pump will deliver it to where the discharge goes outside, and kill all vegetation it gets in touch with. Including trees. Although it will take months to years. Also, many sump pumps are made of plastic today.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks