(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline Storage tank question

Default Gasoline Storage tank question

I have a customer wanting me to design a gasoline delivery system so that he doesn't have to carry several 5 gallon cans of gas down hill and over a long walk way to his dock. Just looking for ideas, not necessarily looking for legal issues but safety is absolutely most important. I'd like to get suggestions on tanks for storage, types of materials to use or information on where to look for this kind of information. Since this is for a private home I think commercial regulations may not have to apply.

Good luck with that.

You may be able to do Diesel fuel, but gasoline ? Not so sure.

The EPA can tell you what you can do.

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Sounds like nothing but headaches to me.

Hate to sound like a smart-ass, but maybe some kind of sling and/or different style of can to make carrying the cans easier. Exercise is good in moderation...

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Good luck with that.

You may be able to do Diesel fuel, but gasoline ? Not so sure.

The EPA can tell you what you can do.

Good Luck.
    yep... and I bet they've got plenty of regulations since this is to deliver gasoline over water to a boat...

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Almost every farm in the country has their own fuel tank for dispensing to equipment. The problem in your situation is that a fuel truck needs to be able to drive up to the tank to fill it. If this were feasible, the guy would not want the tank in the first place.

I think he is looking for a small pipeline.

If it is a big enough lake, he might be able to get deliveries by water.

I think a quad ATV to haul stuff might be the quicker and easier route.
    Last edited by Reach4; 02-08-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    Almost every farm in the country has their own fuel tank for dispensing to equipment. The problem in your situation is that a fuel truck needs to be able to drive up to the tank to fill it. If this were feasible, the guy would not want the tank in the first place.
    This is true.. and much along the lines of what I'm thinking. The idea is kinda like how to plumb SAFELY from a tank to a dock like at a marina. Maybe I should check with one of the small companies that operate locally. I'd leave tank size up to the customer as I'm sure he's talking less than 100 gallons... and probably an above ground storage tank. I'm wondering whether using rubber hose with some kind of nozzle like at a gas pump or a galvanized pipe would be best... and if such thing is reasonable to do. This guy has the money, but he expects to be treated fairly.
    I think we're not looking at a tanker type truck delivery, more like a few 5 gallon cans in the back of a pick up truck... gasoline for pleasure boats and jet ski's for recreational use for a family of weekenders on the lake.

You have to be very careful because of static electricity.

Good Luck.

You have to be very careful because of static electricity.

Good Luck.
    Very true.... I was raised in a mom & pop gas station/grocery store and saw new tanks & gas pumps put in... back then they used what appeared to be plain old steel pipes and steel tanks all coated with tar or something to keep them from rusting. Since then there has been all the EPA regulations and lots of stuff there about vapor issues.... when we add that to delivering gasoline over water we have another issue to deal with...

Do a search for "fuel caddy" That gives about a 25 gallon container on wheels with a dispensing nozzle. Some have a transfer pump.
    Last edited by Reach4; 02-08-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach4 View Post
    So you have moved from delivery to dispensing. Do a search for "fuel caddy" That gives about a 25 gallon container on wheels with a dispensing nozzle. Some have a transfer pump.
    "Delivery system" would include dispensing. A fuel caddy is no help when you have to get it down about 75 or so steps and across a 75 ft walkway to a dock.... maybe a similar idea with a 100 ft. hose...

You could use a Trolly.

You could use a Trolly.
    yah... but too complicated. But not a bad idea for getting toys & supplies to and from the dock. Matter of fact, several of the high dollar places do have trams that go up and down the hills/cliffs to the lake including a few with elevators.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

You need to find out what state agency regulates fuel dispensing equipment in your state and follow their guidelines. Any fuel storage as such must be in approved containment, and if any part of the system is underground it will quite surely be subject to scheduled professional leak testing by a licensed testing business.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    You need to find out what state agency regulates fuel dispensing equipment in your state and follow their guidelines. Any fuel storage as such must be in approved containment, and if any part of the system is underground it will quite surely be subject to scheduled professional leak testing by a licensed testing business.
    True... so far my research has indicated that even people who deal with such plumbing for a living do not know a whole lot about this particular application. Everything is proposed to be above ground and not more than 100 gallon capacity. LOTS of regulations kick in once the capacity reaches 1100 gallons... Otherwise, seems that it may be somewhat the same as setting a propane tank above ground, maybe even simpler. Somewhat like heating oil...