Looking for Answers: PF/2 Energizer exploded and broke our toilet tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

sjewell

Reaction score
Last week the PF/2 Energizer product exploded and broke our toilet tank. Has this happened to anyone else? The top of the tank blew off/ the front half of the tank busted. This could have potentially injured someone. We have lived in our home for 8 years and never experienced anything like this. The customer service line only allowed me to leave a message so I'm looking for ideas on why this might have happened. Has anyone heard of this happening?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Last week the PF/2 Energizer product exploded and broke our toilet tank. Has this happened to anyone else? The top of the tank blew off/ the front half of the tank busted. This could have potentially injured someone. We have lived in our home for 8 years and never experienced anything like this. The customer service line only allowed me to leave a message so I'm looking for ideas on why this might have happened. Has anyone heard of this happening?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/toilet-part-sold-at-home-depot-lowes-recalled-over-bursting-reports/

That's about the flushmate. There's a thread on here that lists a number of the more dramatic cases of pressure-assist toilets exploding. However, given the market penetration of these products, the odds are pretty slim that one would have a problem.

That said, if you replace your toilet with a Toto Drake (or other excellent Toto), Model CST744E, you will likely enjoy a great and effective flush without the pressure assist. Toto uses a gravity-feed system like most all toilets used to do, but tweaks the engineering so that it flushes extremely-effectively, even with low water consumption. You can read the reviews in Terry's Toilet reviews in the green box above.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What make toilet? If it was a Kohler, they have a toilet replacement program.

pf2-energizer-tank-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes. All pressure assist toilets are now coming under review and scrutiny because of the Flushmate situation. I believe that repair parts are no longer being made for the PF Energizers and it makes one wonder why.
Regardless of "market penetration" it has become obvious to the plumbing industry that any pressure assist manufacturer could produce a dangerous and defective product. Recently the Flushmate recall has been expanded, which shows that more is being learned about the problem and we can only guess as to how damaging the education is to the consumers.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a biased opinion. Pressure assisted toilets were invented as an attempt to make first generation low flow toilets work. They may have accomplished that goal, but the trade off was an explosive flush that tended to shred paper and leave cloudy water. Toto approached the problem differently by redesigning the internal passageways so that there was no need for extra pressure. Toto does not make a pressure assist toilet, but they are the largest manufacturer of toilets in the world. On this forum, we rarely hear of a clogged Toto or one that does not function well. My advice is to buy a Toto and forget about the pressure assist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks