Clogged kitchen sink/disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

rpod83

Reaction score
Last night I peeled and trimmed a bunch of carrots, so there were carrot shavings and chunks in the sink. Usually my garbage disposal eats right on through that kind of food so I turn it on, turn the water on, and shove it all down.

The disposal starts doing its thing but gradually slows down and I realize the water is not draining, and it starts to back up. I turn off the disposal. When I turn it back on, I can hear the hum of the motor, but the blades are not spinning. Still no water drainage.

I have had the experience of the blades being jammed and needing to manually free them with a hex wrench under the disposal unit, but this is not that. The blades move freely, both with a hex wrench and when I stick my hand down there and spin them. I can't feel anything clogging jamming anything with my hand.

One interesting detail is that if I turn the disposal on, and I hear the hum but there is no blade movement, I can get it doing by putting a wooden spoon handle down there and manually spinning the blades. If I do it fast enough, it's like the blades pick up and and start spinning on their own.

Overnight the water did not drain. I'm at a bit of a loss on what to try next. Even if the disposal broken the water draining must mean there is a clog somewhere, right? Should I try something like Liquid Plumber?

Any ideas on what's happened to my disposal? Or suggestions for next steps? Thanks!

Asktom

Reaction score
Do not put chemicals in, they won't help and may ruin the unit. You need to get the carrots out of the diposer and manually clean the drain with a snake.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think your disposal failed, and it needs to be replaced.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most disposers are only good for eight years of use.

You will need to uppack the carrots. My sisters did that on Thankgiving one time. It took a snake to clear it the next day. Even with a good disposer, you need plenty of water to wash it down.

rpod83

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far! I was able to unclog it with a plunger and run a lot of water through. The disposal unit is still acting the same though: motor hums, but I can get the blades going manually. So I guess I will have to replace it. It is almost 7 years old. Here is a picture of under my sink:

http://imgur.com/a/FKYyb

I would like to not have to cut/move any pipes. Are the positions of the openings fairly standard across different disposal units? If I got a brand other than Insinkerator Badger could I expect it to fit? Could I even expect a different Badger model (like the higher horsepower model)?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20140206_184606.jpg
    20140206_184606.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 278

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks