(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well problems, the saga and sanity check

The new pressure tank is in. Looks good, everything is almost right with the world.

Dumping water from the outside spigot is approximately 6.5 - 7gpm. The system takes 2:35 for the pressure to drop from 61psi to 40psi. I know that math doesn't work out with a 13gal bleed down tank, but maybe it's the water softener in there??

The pump kicks on and runs forever meaning at 5:30 the pressure stalls at 58psi which tells me 6.5 - 7gpm at 58psi is the max flow my pump can generate. The good news is irrigation shouldn't cycle the pump. I'm not sure if there is bad news from that. The shower head only flows 3gpm so I would expect something like a 4-5 minute bleed down with a 3-5 minute pump up whilst in the shower. I'll be done in that time. The wifey will not.

And now for the bad news. I said "almost" above cause I don't have any leaks......... except for the two second drip under the stupid tank. SO, most of it is coming back out tonight.

...... after taking the plumbing apart six times for the same leak, replacing the new steel fitting with another new one from another store (also made in China).... using four turns of tape, six, ten, ten + tighten the @#$&^% out of it, new fitting + thread sealer, new fitting + thread sealer + tighten the @#$*^% out of it, then finally six turns of tape + thread sealer. Now I have a drip every two minutes. yay.

It's gonna stay that way for a day or two. Every other threaded connection sealed just fine, it's just the 1-1/4" - 3/4" steel bushing under the tank. I've never had this problem before. I used steel 'cause I replaced all the steel with new five years ago before I knew any better. This time I added steel just to plumb the tank into the existing T. Next time I do this it's going to be PEX throughout.
    Last edited by spiral_72; 02-22-2014 at 08:02 AM.

Sorry to be so late in commenting! I'd have a qualified driller/pump installer pull the pump and test the well with compressed air. It won't be cheap but must be done to determine if the problem is the well or the pump.
    Porky Cutter, MGWC
    (Master Ground Water Consultant)

The best way to get the bushing to stop dripping is to use some Teflon tape and then put Rector Seal over the tape on the male threads then tighten it up and you're all done.

Sounds like you either have a worn out pump, split in the pipe or a rotted fitting in the well and that's why you can't get over 58 psi

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    Sounds like you either have a worn out pump, split in the pipe or a rotted fitting in the well and that's why you can't get over 58 psi
    He is getting 58 PSI at 7 GPM. I don't know how deep the water is but couldn't that be normal if it was maybe a 1/2 horse 7 GPM pump?

sorry for the delay. It's a 3/4hp pump installed in about 2005 at 220' deep. I thought 58psi at 7gpm might be normal, even if it's not it doesn't seem like it should be much better than that in a perfect system... I dunno I'm just speculating.

I'll see if I can find some rector seal. It's still dripping every two minutes last time I checked with tape + thread sealer. I put a piece of concrete board under the tank so hopefully it evaporates instead of soaking the soil. Stupid thing..... The ONLY leak I had, had to be in the least accessible.