(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1989 utica boiler drips #2

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You said when you tried to add air to the expansion tank, some water came out. This is a sign that the rubber bladder in the tank has a (maybe small) leak in it. There can be NO leaks in that tank...it cannot be repaired, it needs to be replaced. The ET has an air valve on it very much like one on a tire (called a Schrader valve). This is used to precharge the tank. YOu must check that precharge before there is water pressure pushing on it. Once it is in the system and the water is turned on, the air pressure in the tank will be the same as the water pressure, and is a place where you can check it, but by using a tire pressure gauge to check your water pressure gauge.

Each time you refill the boiler, that water has some entrapped air in it. Once you heat it up, the gas comes out. The air inside of the boiler and piping and pumps then causes corrosion (the oxygen in the air that is trapped). Eventually, all of that gets used up - often by rusting things, but once it is combined with say the iron, there's no more free oxygen left to do anything. You want to avoid draining and refilling the system, and if it does have a leak, you need to fix that, otherwise, it will constantly be needing more water, which means more gasses dissolved in the water, which means more corrosion.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

you can answe rpost from feb 7 or answer this new info. looked at expansion tank these are the the numbers/amtrolmodel #ST-5. precharge 40 psi .max pressure 150 psi .max temp 200 degreses.said before took offf tank pumped to 13.5 lb. turned auto fill counter clock wise one and a quater turns. it stil is at 30 psi with no drips from prv. you think i should pump expansion tank to 40 psi and reset auto fill back to origanal position. or you think the pressure gauge is not working right?to jadusha.i said i took off tank emptied a little water from it.it did not leak water when i pumped it to 13.5.
    Last edited by 4uzindian; 02-08-2014 at 11:29 AM.

An ST5 is for domestic water, not a boiler and it's way too small. You need an Amtrol or similar #30 tank precharged to 15lbs.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

im going to look around .about these twoo tanka. honestly can i just leave this tank on set at presubsly 13.5 lbs.idid see tat the one i have is mainly for hot water heaters.the old tank was 2.2 gallons so is the st-5.its 8 inches in diamater. the number 30 tank is eleven inch in diamter.my tank sits right next to support pole from floor to beams in cellar.no way the # 30 would fit.the st-5 is same as origanal in size.i'll leave it like this. tech must have let air out cause st-5 comes prcharged at 40 lbs psi.this is nothing more than an air shock like on a car .right.hope you don't tell me these tanks have different types of rubber bladders in them.so am i ok to leave this one installed ?
    Last edited by 4uzindian; 02-09-2014 at 09:45 AM.

No, the bladder isn't rated for the temperatures.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

my unit has always run at 142 degrees.st-5 is rated at 150 max psi. the temp is rated at 200 degrees. the # 30 tank is rated at 100 psi. the temp is at 240 degrees.there is no way this unit is going above 142 cause of the aqustat setting.im not worried about that.what are you trying to tell me.i noted before this the same size tank as the origanal.no problems for 25 years.theres no way this is going above 200 degrese.i'm at the end of page 2 are you going to answer me. page 2 or page 3 ?.to all of you.tech came over seen it was wrong expns tank be here tomow to put in #15 amtrol tank .will post to let you all know.
    Last edited by 4uzindian; 02-10-2014 at 12:30 PM.