Rough in move done

Users who are viewing this thread

snokel

Reaction score
Just finished moving my basement rough in a couple of feet over to clear beam and hvac.
The shower drain moved over about 2.5 feet and I had to add a dry vent because it was more than 8 feet from the
wet vent. The string is the plumb bob I used to position the vents so they will be in the wall which will incorporate the
the 3.5 inch rigidlam beam.

The Water closet and lav wet vent is exactly the same except moved over to clear the beam and hvac.

I used a combo on the wet vent because it sat just a bit lower than using a wye and 45 combo.

Did 3 days of research and I think it will pass inspection (which is tomorrow).

I adjusted the pitch a bit and dumped 5 gallons of water down each drain and no problems.

comments?

Attachments

• rough_in.jpg
    rough_in.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

snokel

Reaction score
Thanks, I hope so. Now I just have to haul the bags of concrete down for a pour this weekend :)

The water closet rough is a bit more than 12 inches, about 13.5 that should be ok though. I kind of like the tank a bit further from the wall, makes it easy
to paint back there :)

Hammerlane

Reaction score
did you just use the sledge to break up the concrete or did you rent a jackhammer

Hammerlane

Reaction score
It's nice to see a homeowner rough in that we can give two thumbs up on!
Yeah separate vents...no flat vents. That deserves the two thumbs up.

But where and how is the lav plumbed in? Is he hiding something???

snokel

Reaction score
did you just use the sledge to break up the concrete or did you rent a jackhammer

Yes, I used a 4lb and a 12lb sledgehammer and a cold chisel to bust it all up. Took about 6 hours to break up including the hauling of the chunks.
I cheated on hauling the chunks out, I just threw it all out the egress window on the mulch bed and will haul away in the spring when the snow is gone :)

oh, I also used a hammer drill to drill holes around the perimeter to control cracking and that mostly worked, I had to open it up more than I wanted because
the shower drain was close to the wall and it just hairline cracked like crazy in that area so I just opened it up to the wall, not a big deal since we are in a deep
freeze here in wisc right now and the form a drain is bone dry. will feel better when it's filled back in though :)

Last edited:

snokel

Reaction score
Here is the original setup before I took out the gravel:
I accidentally cracked the wet vent behind the WC and that's what that red tape is sealing up :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140126_185234.jpg
    IMG_20140126_185234.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 180

snokel

Reaction score
It's nice to see a homeowner rough in that we can give two thumbs up on!

Thanks Terry, I have to say I was stressed out about this for days before actually doing it:) Doing plenty of research before hand really helps :)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Have you talked to your inspector? More often than not in WI you will be required do do a stack test or pressure test to prove the integrity of your connections.

snokel

Reaction score
Have you talked to your inspector? More often than not in WI you will be required do do a stack test or pressure test to prove the integrity of your connections.

Yep, I have been talking to him.

He came over yesterday and it all passed.

I asked him about the testing and he said they normal don't require that for home owner installs unless it's a "lot" of pipe being put down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks