Temporary Toilet Install

Users who are viewing this thread

C Williams

Reaction score
So I’ve build our new house in a remote community in BC. The house is now to lock up, the plumbing is in and I’m just working on electrical. At my glacial pace we have a long haul ahead of us but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. We are not living there yet but are there daily working away and what we really want is a functional toilet. :p It will be months before we get a finished floor in either bathroom so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way to temporarily install a toilet without compromising the installation of the permanent toilet flange on the finished floor? In each bathroom there is a 4†abs stub protruding up from the floor. One through concrete and the other through plywood. I don’t care which one I use. Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you know the thickness of your desired flooring, you could lay some sheet goods there, install the flange at that height, and temporarily set the toilet. While not a horrible situation, ideally the flange will sit on the top of the finished floor. Or, if you have access below, you could just set it on the subfloor, and then cut it off and reinstall new when you add the finished flooring. If you plan something like sheet goods (vinyl), then just set it on the subfloor...the thickness of that won't matter, but it could if you were to add a second layer of ply and maybe some cbu, and tile.

Most toilets won't sit properly unless the flange is either on the finished floor, or maybe as low as even...but for the finished thing, on the finished floor is still the way they were designed to fit.

Houptee

Reaction score
Or maybe raise the toilet up on a temp platform above the pipe coming out of the floor. If you have a small wood pallet laying around put a piece of plywood on it cut a hole for a flange screw it to the plywood and put a piece of extension pipe and a rubber fernco to the stub coming up. Use a waxless rubber toilet gasket so you can reuse it when you permanently set the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Raise the floor temporarily and use a "compression fit" flange which you can remove when ready to install the permanent floor and flooring, then install the permanent flange on top of that.

C Williams

Reaction score
Thanks HJ, Jadnashua, and Houptee.

Hj's answer sounds good. I knew someone here would make me aware of a product that I didn't know existed. Now I just need to lay my hands on a compression fit flange that fits inside a 4" abs pipe. Since it is a compression fitting I'm assuming I don't care if it is PVC or ABS. I only see PVC ones online.

You guys Rock! Thanks.

C Williams

Reaction score
Thanks houptee,

The Canadian Home Depot doesn't sell either product but our local wholesaler carries Sioux Chief so I will check with them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks