Need help troubleshooting low pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
I have a deep well jet pump used for irrigation. I just replaced the injector at the bottom of the well because I could not get more then 35 psi. Now the pump shuts off at 50 psi and cuts in at 30 psi, the problem is when the pump cuts in at 30 psi and the sprinklers are on the pressure drops instanly to 10 psi. I have a blue pressure tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Reach4

Reaction score
" the problem is when the pump cuts in at 30 psi and the sprinklers are on the pressure drops instanly to 10 psi."

Then what happens to the pressure?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sounds like the wrong size jet, or it is not getting proper pressure.

How are you controlling jet pressure ?

Or cut-in is not really what you think, where are you measuring pressure ?

Good Luck.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...the problem is when the pump cuts in at 30 psi and the sprinklers are on the pressure drops instanly to 10 psi.

Let a few PSI of air out of the tank. You shaved the precharge too close and the tank is empty when the pump needs the water.

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
The pressure stays at 10 psi until I turn off the sprinklers then it goes up to 50 psi..

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
Sounds like the wrong size jet, or it is not getting proper pressure.

How are you controlling jet pressure ?

Or cut-in is not really what you think, where are you measuring pressure ?

Good Luck.
The pressure gauge is on the pump...

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
I will try and let some air out of the tank. How would too much precharge in the pressure tank cause the symptoms I have. Just trying to understand a little better.

Thanks, pete

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even with the wrong air pressure in the tank the pressure won't "dive" unless you are using more water than the pump can produce. I think you installed a high pressure, low volume jet assembly and now your sprinklers are putting out more than the pump can produce.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think you installed a high pressure, low volume jet assembly and now your sprinklers are putting out more than the pump can produce.

That is a distinct possibility. A simple test is to take the cover off the switch and to nudge the pressure plate to get the pump to start well before the bladder hits the bottom of the tank. If the pump cannot keep up to the demand, there is no point in letting air out.

Jet pumps use pressure to make more pressure. If the pressure is let to dive too low, it can have problems to recover. Some jet pumps use a regulator to ensure the jet gets first dibs at the pressure. Other models have a manual diverter to help when starting from zero.

DonL

Reaction score
If the pump does have a regulator, It may just need to be adjusted to match the new jet.

What is the model of the pump ?

They make different jet sizes for a reason, and that new jet may not match your pump.

Good Luck.

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
That is a distinct possibility. A simple test is to take the cover off the switch and to nudge the pressure plate to get the pump to start well before the bladder hits the bottom of the tank. If the pump cannot keep up to the demand, there is no point in letting air out.

Jet pumps use pressure to make more pressure. If the pressure is let to dive too low, it can have problems to recover. Some jet pumps use a regulator to ensure the jet gets first dibs at the pressure. Other models have a manual diverter to help when starting from zero.

I will test today...

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
The deep jet motor says on it 1/2 HP manufactured by GE. This is an old pump maybe 20 years old.
The new injector I bought came with 3 nozzles I think a 51,52,53 I used the 52 and the venture that went with the nozzle per the instructions. I can pull the injector back out and change the combination would I use the nozzle with a larger diameter or smaller. The water table is high the injector is only 25' deep.

DonL

Reaction score
That pump may not be up to the job. GE made the motor, not the pump. Sounds like a one stage.

Does it have a regulator ? Close to where the gauge is ?

Did it work good before ?

Last edited:

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
That pump may not be up to the job. GE made the motor, not the pump. Sounds like a one stage.

Does it have a regulator ? Close to where the gauge is ?

Did it work good before ?

the pump has no label on it. The regulator (the part that controls the cut in and cut out)is on the motor, and the gauge is on the pump.It has worked fine for me for the last 15 years.

DonL

Reaction score
the pump has no label on it. The regulator (the part that controls the cut in and cut out)is on the motor, and the gauge is on the pump.It has worked fine for me for the last 15 years.

OK. The switch does not regulate the jet pressure. Some people use a ball valve, if the pump does not have a regulator.

You should look at your old venture / nozzle, and match it up with the one you install.

You could have other problems.

It is hard to tell from here.

Good Luck, You can make it work.

Last edited:

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
There is no regulator the two pipes that go down the well are connected directly to the pump, which is only 1' from the well casing. Should I install the bigger or smaller nozzle to get more volume, I do not have the old injector anymore.

DonL

Reaction score
You should check your tank to see if it has the correct pre-charge first, if you have not yet. Did you do that ?

If you are not pumping against a pressurized tank, with some back pressure, the jet may not get enough water to get it working properly, because the output is wide open.

I think you would want to go bigger, but I am no expert.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Mrk3cobra

Reaction score
I will check the tank pressure when I get home today. I will also run a test with the pump running and the pressure at 40 psi I will turn on the sprinklers and see if the pump can maintain close to the 40 PSI or if it drops immediately to 10 PSI like it does when the pump cuts in at 30 PSI. I think this should tell me if the pump and injector are sized correctly. Does this sound like a reasonable test.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks