(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10-Inch Rough-In

DIY Junior Member NoviceRenovator's Avatar

Default 10-Inch Rough-In

Hi All, I'm in the middle of a gut renovation (prior to which I'd rarely even replaced a light bulb!), so that will give you an idea of how stressed out I am right now! On the bright side, I have a terrific GC and designer, so that's 95% of the battle. They recently told me that, in a bathroom that's only 4 feet wide, they didn't get any additional space after opening up the wall, so we can't do better than the 10-inch rough-in that's currently in place. My design is extremely modern and minimal and sleek - and that's the problem. When they thought we'd be able to use a 12-inch rough toilet, they had chosen the Duravit Starck 3, which worked from a style perspective, although I've always been concerned that the need to limit the footprint of the toilet is more important than style, but I'm trying to achieve both.

So far, I've searched the internet, including this forum, for some options, so I'm aware of the Toto 10-inch Aquia as well as the Toto 12-inch options that use the Toto Unifit (enabling you to use certain Toto 12-inch models in a 10-inch rough-in, including the Legato, Carlyle, Aimes). Unfortunately, the length of all of them are between 27 1/2 and 28 1/2 - and that leaves very little knee room.

I'm trying to find a toilet with the following:
    1. length under 26 1/2 and even shorter would be best (24 or 25 would be ideal, as a few inches makes a huge difference in this small bathroom)
    2. a skirt on the side (yes, I'm still trying to be "clean" and minimal and stylish, so I won't use a toilet that doesn't conceal the piping - and that pretty much eliminates all Kohler and American Standard products)
    3. Although I would prefer an elongated model, I'm very willing to go with a round toilet (so long as it's under 26 1/2 and has a side skirt)
    4. I'm seeing some shorter European models but even the short ones still use a 12-in rough

Not too much to ask, right!!!

Many thanks for any suggestions!

The piping UNDER the floor determines the rough, NOT the toilet, so if the piping can be adjusted, (it won't change anything regarding the room dimensions or space), y can use the toilet you want to.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Thanks, HJ. We're completely stuck, in that this is in a condo that won't allow anyone to move the piping. So it sits 10 inches from the wall - and we can't move the wall back or the piping forward. There are 400 other apartments in the building, so the only option is a toilet that will fit in the space (and we can't do a wall mount). Many thanks.

A wall-hung toilet with a tank in the wall would be different.
    Check http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=630
    is only 21-1/8 from the wall. The trick is that the tank is *in* the wall. You can mount it to the exact height you prefer. Name:  huge4.png
Views: 135
Size:  18.8 KB

You posted your no-wall-mount after I was working on the post, so this is an edit.

Thanks, Reach4. A wall mount would solve my problem completely! But it's a total non-starter with the building. Appreciate very much your response.

http://www.wayfair.com/Scarabeo-by-N...t-SBE1147.html

•10" Rough-in
    Planet Floor Mounted Round Toilet Bowl Only 19.7" H x 17.7" W x 17.7" D
    Planet Wall Toilet Tank Only 37.6" H x 15.5" W x 5.72" D Name:  huge5.png
Views: 144
Size:  62.4 KB

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The toilet above looks modern...........Wow! that's a bit.

Here's a round front Cadet Pro round front.
    http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...Sheet_5655.pdf

Not very stylish though, and has the exposed trapway.

The Aquia 10" CST412MF.10 may be a good choice. That would be something like 28" out from the wall on a 10", skirted and modern.

Thanks, Reach4. That Nameeks toilet is very interesting looking indeed!

Terry/Reach4, just so I'm interpreting it correctly, does this mean that if I add 17.7 for the toilet and 5.72 for the tank = 23.42 inches, is that the finally number - or is there anything that I'm not taking into account? If 23.42 is the final depth, that means I would be saving about 4 inches over the Toto Aquia (which I agree is, so far, the best alternative in terms of "clean" style).

I am thinking it means those numbers add, but I have never seen such a toilet. I just searched. I think you should try to get datasheets.

If you're willing to spend that kind of money, then you should look at the Geberit Monolith. http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/e...toilets_9.html

You mount it in front of the wall, and then you can hang pretty much any standard wall-hung or rear-discharge floor mount toilet off of it. You can mount the Toto Aquia wall-mount or the Maris wall-mount, or any Duravit wall-mount or floor-mount-rear-discharge toilet on it. It's expensive ($400+), but cheaper than that other thing above when you add a Duravit or Toto to that money.
    Last edited by Terry; 02-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoviceRenovator View Post
    I'm hoping that the 10" rough INCLUDES the 5.72 inches for the tank. By that I mean, I hope that when the toilet is attached to the tank, the rough for the toilet ends up 10 inches from the wall. (This is so tricky - and I'm truly a novice!)

Any thoughts?
    Not sure which toilet you are asking about.

The "rough in" is the distance to the center of the flange from the finished wall.

A "10-inch rough in toilet" is a toilet that FITS on a 10" rough-in. It's a toilet that is designed to discharge its waste in the center of a flange properly mounted ten inches from the wall.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    If you're willing to spend that kind of money, then you should look at the Geberit Monolith. http://www.geberitnorthamerica.com/e...toilets_9.html

You mount it in front of the wall, and then you can hang pretty much any standard wall-hung or rear-discharge floor mount toilet off of it. You can mount the Toto Aquia wall-mount or the Maris wall-mount, or any Duravit wall-mount or floor-mount-rear-discharge toilet on it. It's expensive ($400+), but cheaper than that other thing above when you add a Duravit or Toto to that money.
    I've never seen that.
    That looks pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I've never seen that.
    That looks pretty cool.
    You know, I hadn't seen the floor-mount version until today; maybe it's new. I misspoke a bit because they really have two versions. One version (the original I think) of the Monolith allows you essentially to mount and then conceal a carrier and tank in front of the wall, without having to open the wall, or where the wall isn't suitable or where your wall might be common space or otherwise off-limits in a multi-unit building, etc. You end up with something like a wall-mount toilet.

The other version, the one you posted about, uses your existing floor flange to provide waste disposal for a Duravit floor mount rear discharge toilet. It looks like it's a 12" rough-in only. However, if Geberit could do so, they would make it either infinitely-variable from, say, 7-15 inches so it would be a good solution for an oddball rough-in, as we are often asked about on here. Alternatively, they could provide for a 10" and a 14" rough-in, the way Inax and Toto do.

I do wonder how that "change of shape" from round to flat-ish on the adapter affects the flow/cloggability of the toilet.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 02-02-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks to everyone for all of this great info. I'm still in the process of investigating them. The Nameeks and the Geberit are very interesting but I'm really looking into whether the net result would be in the neighborhood of 24 or 25 or 26 inches. If not, then I'll probably end up with the Toto Aquia, which is 27 1/2 inches (but I'd really prefer not to end up at 27 1/2). For reasons that I don't fully understand, although the Nameeks looks like it would be 17.7 plus 5.72 = 23.42, my designer said that I'm not accounting for something - and that it would really end up being around 27 inches (or at 23.42 inches it wouldn't work on a 10" rough in). I have a little time, so I'll keep plugging away. If you come up with anything else or can help me understand if the Nameeks would "net net" end up at 23.42, please let me know. Many, many thanks again.

I am not at all sure what the deal is with that. http://www.nameeks.com/search/Toilets/ is the marketer website, but it is sure short on dimensions. I suspect your designer got the information right, and that probably was not easy.