(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1989 utica boiler drips

that for response. i don't have an electric zone valve. the first red knob he cloed .is that the the main water fill valve ? i sent picture of my unit still confused.i have three valves .main feed .the blue knob which i presume is the zone valve. the red one has the spigot for draing.just need a procedure for this . do i turn the thermastat down first ?

1)Turn off the boiler power switch so it cant turn on.
    2)Connect the garden hose to the red valve (the one near the front of boiler in your picture).
    3)Close the blue valve below that red one. (don't touch the other red and blue valves near the rear of boiler)
    4)Open the red valve to let the water and air come out into a sink, or outside, or into a bucket.
    5)While its draining lift the lever on the feed valve to allow city water pressure to help push more water and air thru the system.

When its coming out clean and no air anymore lower the lever on auto feed valve.
    Close red valve to stop water flowing out hose
    Open blue valve
    Turn on boiler power switch and observe pressure as it heats up

disregard this message glet you know if im goig to or do this today.thanks for answer. i understand your answer.
    Last edited by 4uzindian; 02-04-2014 at 07:49 AM.

keep loosing your last response.wont pop up it poped up im going to leave unit the way it is for right now.probaly post tommorow
    Last edited by 4uzindian; 02-04-2014 at 08:04 AM.

got your post from yesterday.heres the new one.it was at 30psi. slight drip. the i turned the auto fill valve from te 10 oclock position to the 3 oclock position to try to lower. when boiler came on it went to 35 psi the pressure releive vale drained 10 ocnes of water and it went to 35 psi when it stoped running it setteled at 30 psi.i turned the adjusting screw counter clock wise .i adjusted this when it was almost cold. of this do you think it could be the new expansion tank that is the problem.

somthing wrong with site cant see my last response starting a new thread please hope you pick it up.

Default oh to page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 4uzindian View Post
    somthing wrong with site cant see my last response starting a new thread please hope you pick it up.
    nothing wrong with posts i never went to page 2 with post all is there . any way i starded a post same title numbered #2 hope you pickit upcountiune from this .

Yes it could be a bad expansion tank or maybe you have one too small for this system.
    It should have a air pressure schrader valve like a tire, on one side of the tank is just air with a rubber diaphragm that separates the water from the air cushion.
    The tank has a label on it that says the normal air pressure for the tank so you can test it with a tire pressure gauge (test when system is cold not hot).
    If the tank feels like its full of water when you hold it and shake it, then the rubber diaphragm might have broke and the tank filled with water.