Ledger

Users who are viewing this thread

Eagle71

Reaction score
Hello all. Getting ready to set a new kohler acrylic alcove tub that just happens to sit perfectly level when dry fit. Anyway, i usually use ledgers and concrete to help level acrylic tubs, but never actually installed one that didn't need leveling. Could i bypass using ledgers—kohler doesn't even recommend them—and just depend on the flange screws to support the back wall deck? Apparently kohler seems to think that's all you need. Thanks.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Hey Eagle I would recommend window clips versus screws for holding the tub against the wall studs.

And I would for sure use a couple bags of Mortar Mix under the tub for added strength and improved feel under foot.

Have you seen some current post here on the process. Check out this discussion.

What Type of mortar under Acrylic Tub

Most tubs don't need the Ledger in place I find - the ones I work with anyway. If the ledger is not spec'd and you use clips and mortar I would think your good to go....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I too have seen Kohler acyric tubs that fit perfectly to the floor.
If that is what you have, then there is no need for mortar.
I would slide that puppy in and secure the tile flange.

wood_4606.jpg

For some reason this Archer tub fit in perfectly without any shims. Good job Kohler!

wood_609.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks