Hot water issues in bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

jhp1981

Reaction score
I am not getting hot water in my bathroom shower. It is just warm. I replaced all single handle cartridges in my 2 bathrooms. Water does get hot when hot water is running elsewhere in the house.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
New shower valves have an anti-scald system built in to them so it will not get but so hot. There is usually a way to adjust the valve depending on the type valve.

jhp1981

Reaction score
My shower uses the Moen 1225 cartridge. There is no anti scald feature.

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
Hey this might help, those cartridges dont specify which side is hot or cold, take the handle off and rotate the stem 180 degrees. I think u can just rotate the stem, i cant remember if u have to take the cart right out and flip it upside down, or in your case upside right

jhp1981

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the cartridge. Somehow hot water is not entering my shower.

jhp1981

Reaction score
I am going to replace the faucet stem and washer today. I hope that works. Can you tell me what do you mean by 'water bleeding through'? Thanks.

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
Untitled.jpg

Heres a picture what i mean

jhp1981

Reaction score
My his and her sinks also give lukewarm water. Only my tub is giving hot water in the master bath. The guest bath is fine. I was told that there could be a croosover at the faucets but it is 2 handled. So I am not sure how the cold water gets into the hot water pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
My his and her sinks also give lukewarm water. Only my tub is giving hot water in the master bath. The guest bath is fine. I was told that there could be a croosover at the faucets but it is 2 handled. So I am not sure how the cold water gets into the hot water pipe.

Turn off the supply valve to the water heater temporarily. (turn off the heater too if you are cautious in case you forget to reopen the valve soon)

Turn on one or more hot water faucets. If water does not flow, you do not have a crossover. If water flows, you have a crossover, but still don't know where it is. Turn the valve to the water heater back on.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Does your water heater have a recirculation pipe? That can be cause of symptoms such as yours, but if not, there are several ways it could happen, but NOT with two handle faucets.

jhp1981

Reaction score
No. I tried replacing all cartridges for single handle faucets and the sink hot water faucets too. I shut off the laundry cold water supply. Nothing seems to change. Its like the master shower and sinks are on a different hot water line.

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
No. I tried replacing all cartridges for single handle faucets and the sink hot water faucets too. I shut off the laundry cold water supply. Nothing seems to change. Its like the master shower and sinks are on a different hot water line.

More info. when did this start? is this a house duplex apt? did u have plumbing done recently, did u do it yourself? did the water get shut off recently? anything involving water get done when this started happening. Its very unlikely this happened by its self, did u shut a valve off somewhere?

cold water comes in house tee's off to hot water tank, cold and hot feed each fixture.

jhp1981

Reaction score
This happened the day we replaced our heat pump. Our old one used to supply hot water to the heater using heat from the heat pump. Now its just the water heater giving hot water. The water used to be very hot back then so I guess when it was mixed with cold it gave me hot water. Now since the water is at 125 F any crossover is noticeable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Now since the water is at 125 F any crossover is noticeable.

We have NOT established that it is "crossover", so that is just conjecture. Turn off the supply valve to the water heater, THEN open a hot water faucet. If the flow stops there is no crossover, if cold water comes out then there is, and you have to locate it. Some single handle faucets, such as MIxet, will still crossover even with a new cartridge. But, if it is NOT caused by a single handle faucet malfunctioning, then it is some condition unique to your house and someone would have to be there to do their own testing to try to find it.

quote; My shower uses the Moen 1225 cartridge. There is no anti scald feature.

A Moentrol valve WILL use the 1225 cartridge and it DOES have an antiscald balancing spool separate from the cartridge, but they seldom fail in such a way as to crossover, but it could.

Last edited:

jhp1981

Reaction score
I turned off the heater and the hot water stopped flowing at all faucets. I guess then it's not a crossover. This is a picture of my shower valve.2014-01-04_153239_dsc_1403.jpg

Last edited:

jhp1981

Reaction score
I ran the master faucet and I could barely hear anything at the water heater. I ran the guest faucet and I could definitely hear something at the heater. I am not sure if this means anything. Master is 1.5gpm and guest is 2gpm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks