Contractor installed wrong tankless water heater unit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Terminum

Reaction score
We had a Rinnai tankless water heater installed about a month ago; now the hot water occasionally does not work for hours at a time. The local dealer who installed it came out to do an inspection. Long story short, they installed the "wrong unit" (their words).

The guy was using a lot of technical jargon, but as far as I can gather, instead of installing the correct unit they are just going to replace the regulator. He said that this one was only meant for 11 (unspecified units of pressure) and our lines are running at 13 (unspecified units of pressure) or something like that. This is causing the whole system to shut off regularly. This is what he said anyway.

Is just replacing the regulator of a "wrong unit" a common practice? We paid full price for this (which he says is a comparable unit) but my concern is they are just doing a patch job and this could cause problems down the road. I cannot find any information about this online, and I have no idea what the heck is going on. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that Propane? If so, it sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
In that case, I don't have a guess as to what the 11 or 13 would refer to. Residential natural gas pressure is a 4 to 6 inch water column (about 0.2 PSI).

Will they extend the warranty to start once things are right?

Terminum

Reaction score
Thanks, I will ask them about the warranty. The fact that you are not immediately throwing up red flags makes me feel a little better though.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro, so don't take my thought as authoritative. You could ask more specifically what the change is, and you might check with the manufacturer as to whether that cure is proper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks