Is it safe to weir a rubber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
Are rubber dwv fittings up to code?

Is it 'to code' to use rubber, flexible sanitary tees on exposed drain lines to join a horizontal sink drain line to a vertical drain stack?

I'm trying to figure out how to configure my sewage ejector pit vent. I've attached a pic to show how it's config'd for discharge (please comment if you see problems on the discharge; I haven't had the inspector over yet, but am planning to.)

The vent hole will receive three pipes: a utility sink drain (you can see this along the left side wall), a bathroom sink drain, and the vent pipe. I can merge the 3 pipes into one with 2 sanitary tees, but I'd like to be able to remove the contraption easily for pump servicing. The rubber tees would save me having to use a separate rubber coupler with a pvc tee.

Also, is it ok to use sanitary tees in this way? Or do I have to use wyes? It's only sink waste, afterall.

Thanks in advance. This forum rocks!!! (Jeez, what did people do b4 the Internet?)

Attachments

• IMG_2503small.jpg
    IMG_2503small.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
looks back east! where you at?

the real pros will follow me. couple of comments. i think you're blocking the cleanout plug. you may need more clearance. about the elec. outlet, romex below 7ft. 6 inches has to be protected from mech. damage. here in ca. that would have to be condiut or armored cable. codes vary in different places! always list your local. looks neat!

Prashster

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I'll shield the electrical wiring; that makes sense. The pic doesn't show it well, but there's straight clearance to the cleanout. If that's not good enough, how should I fix it? A rubber slip coupling after the gate valve?

Also, FYI, I heard that rubber 'qwik' fittings of any kind (tee's, unions, reducers) are acceptable only in exposed areas, so I guess I could have used it. I decided, however, to just run pvc straight up for the vent for 3 reasons:

1) I think vents need to travel at least 6" vertically above the flood rim of the fixture before transitioning to horizontal. Whether or not it's true (someone confirm?) I skirted the issue by running the vent straight up to the ceiling b4 transitioning to horizontal.

2) The only rubber tees and wyes I could find looked like the pipe diameter was reduced inside the fitting. Again, perhaps I could have gotten away with it, but I guess better safe than sorry.

3) Those mother-scratchers are expensive!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks