(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why does drywall work in a Kerdi Shower?

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 02:53 PM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I am just checking in, I have no traffic.

Attachment 23440

Have fun everyone.
    Well good morning to you too, a-hole. LOL

Blog Entries

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Good to see the battle is still alive!!!!

As you may recall, I wandered into this forum months ago after the horse was already out of the barn, so to speak.

i had just spent a good deal of time and money, installing a drywall/kerdi walk in shower. I did this after being sold on the idea by the tile store salesman. As iIput up the kerdi, I realized that i might be in trouble. Being a DIY homeowner and not a tradesman, my application technique was questionable. That is when i came in here looking for advice. John told me to cut my losses and rip it out. i probably should have listened. i ended up taking some of his advice and did an ardex 8+9 application over the kerdi. good stuff that ardex and wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper/easier to apply than kerdi.

i am now in the finishing stages of tiling. i am keeping my fingers crossed that i will be OK, but, looking back on it, it's a no brainer. ardex over CB is the way to go. much cheaper, easier to do AND if, somewhere there is a breach and water does get through in small amounts, it may be just fine, especially if there is any sort of air flow at all.

i have just one question. why use a drywall/kerdi system over CB ardex? it is much more expensive and if it fails, even slightly, it will turn to shit in short order, whereas the CB/ardex may be just fine.

OK, I have one other question. why didn't i find this thread before i bought the kerdi?

Blog Entries

at best, material cost is a wash. i think the kerdi is more, personally. as for speed of application, i guess drywall night go up a bit quicker, but, not much. with the kerdi application, i have found out the hard way that you better know what the hell you are doing. ardex? mix and roll. an f-ing caveman could do it.

advantage, ardex, especially if you are an amateur. and as you say, if water does find a way through, and it very well may, the CB has a fighting chance. the drywall, not so much

damn, i wish i could rewind a year and do this over. that shower would have been done a long time ago.

Check the update on the Kerdi failure thread on a dedicated tile pro's site. The new score is: Kerdi failures = 0.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=111300
    dana
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Note: please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :-)

Blog Entries

Remember folks, a photo of wet tile is not a Kerdi failure. Need more info: to begin, what does the structure consist of - wood, concrete, steel, other? is the shower floor sloped? how much? is their a mortar bed or foam shower pan? etc... these are just a few of the first questions we need to evaluate a shower failure. Any shower failure. Just trying to help you all understand a simple, professional installation where drywall has been used successfully for decades.

Folks can choose to ignore facts, that drywall as a substrate in a Schluter shower system is a fine professional and code approved installation, all they want. I choose to live in a fact based world where long term successful results inform current and future trends. Have fun all.
    dana
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Roberto Don is bored. That's it.

Bump to Dana....

Yes you are correct, May I get a Bump Please ?

Thanks in advance.

Name:  Pissing_Contest.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  8.7 KB

Have Fun Everyone.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Drywall in wet area ..........as post above.

Name:  Pissing over drywall.JPG
Size:  14.1 KB

and this is from a supplier

Quote : '' Why PANEL REY Drywall?

"Tainted drywall has flooded the North American market. How does this affect our investments, let alone our health? Tainted drywall emits reactive sulfur gas at levels strong enough to damage copper wiring and pipes, undermining the quality of your renovation and putting your heath at risk for the sake of saving a few bucks. At Drywall Depot it is our goal to provide safe, reliable products to the marketplace; products that are safe for your family and safe for your customers. So we went looking for a drywall made here in North America that was tested safe. Panel Rey Drywall was the clear choice. As part of the Consumer Product Safety Commissions (CPSC) ongoing investigation into tainted drywall the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories conducted independent testing to determine among the different drywall suppliers what exactly their levels of emission were. Those results can be found here and here. The Panel Rey Drywall Product results were outstanding, surpassing commonly used product lines. Panel Rey Drywall is strong, light, and safe, as well as ULC & ASTM listed. Why take chances on cheap budget drywall when Panel Rey Drywall is already an affordable choice proven safe. So when it comes to your home, your business, your customers, remember: price isn't everything.

And of course CBU is just not comparable to drywall , ever.
    Roberto

b

u

m

p

!

dana

Quote Originally Posted by eurob View Post
    Drywall in wet area ..........as post above.

Name:  Pissing over drywall.JPG
Size:  14.1 KB

and this is from a supplier

Quote : '' Why PANEL REY Drywall?

"Tainted drywall has flooded the North American market. How does this affect our investments, let alone our health? Tainted drywall emits reactive sulfur gas at levels strong enough to damage copper wiring and pipes, undermining the quality of your renovation and putting your heath at risk for the sake of saving a few bucks. At Drywall Depot it is our goal to provide safe, reliable products to the marketplace; products that are safe for your family and safe for your customers. So we went looking for a drywall made here in North America that was tested safe. Panel Rey Drywall was the clear choice. As part of the Consumer Product Safety Commissions (CPSC) ongoing investigation into tainted drywall the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories conducted independent testing to determine among the different drywall suppliers what exactly their levels of emission were. Those results can be found here and here. The Panel Rey Drywall Product results were outstanding, surpassing commonly used product lines. Panel Rey Drywall is strong, light, and safe, as well as ULC & ASTM listed. Why take chances on cheap budget drywall when Panel Rey Drywall is already an affordable choice proven safe. So when it comes to your home, your business, your customers, remember: price isn't everything.”

And of course CBU is just not comparable to drywall , ever.

LMAO

That is Great.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by pete c View Post
    at best, material cost is a wash. i think the kerdi is more, personally. as for speed of application, i guess drywall night go up a bit quicker, but, not much. with the kerdi application, i have found out the hard way that you better know what the hell you are doing. ardex? mix and roll. an f-ing caveman could do it.

advantage, ardex, especially if you are an amateur. and as you say, if water does find a way through, and it very well may, the CB has a fighting chance. the drywall, not so much

damn, i wish i could rewind a year and do this over. that shower would have been done a long time ago.
    I hope you got it under control now, Pete. I have another bathroom to do, and 8+9 is going to be what I use(over CBU of course).

Share pics if you have em.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_sparky View Post
    I hope you got it under control now, Pete. I have another bathroom to do, and 8+9 is going to be what I use(over CBU of course).

Share pics if you have em.
    I hope I do too. I have one concern. That is the drywall to kerdi bond. I thought I would be smarter than the install video and put up large pieces around corners rather than do separate flat pieces with taped corners. When I was applying the kerdi, there were a few spots that pulled away as I rolled the sticky ardex on. I ended up cutting these pieces open and using ardex to glue them to the wall.

So what I have learned from all this is that if you are a DIYer, I highly recommend ardex over CB. It is pretty much idjit proof and even if you goof up, odds are pretty good that you'll get away with it as the CB will stand up to occasional moisture.

So, there is definite advantage to CB/ardex. Install time may favor drywall/kerdi. I don't know enough to guess if it does. Price, it seems to me is on the side of CB/ardex, assuming the shower is large enough to use the entire ardex mixture. If the shower is very small, perhaps there is a price advantge with kerdi/drywall. But, it ain't much.