(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why does drywall work in a Kerdi Shower?

Look - I don't question the effectiveness of Kerdi. I'm sure it's a quality product.

The rub is that there are products (like cement board) that are inherently moisture resistant - that cost very little more than drywall - which has no moisture resistance. So you sorta have an extra level of insurance - risk advoidance.

You want to take the risk - fine. But for me, the 'ease' of drywall is not worth my percieved risk.
    If a hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JW
    So now Roberto you have been here on Terry's form a good 40 plus days. Do you now see why I battle him so much?
    Yeap. -- combined with other threads on the same subject ---> what a waste of time < ---- .
    Roberto

Regarding this site being frequented by DIYers- I agree. These days, anyone with a computer or phone can access any of this info and learn from it. Hopefully, the main thing they leave with is this:

Always follow the local building codes & laws, and the manufacturers installation instructions with whatever product you use. If there's a conflict between any of these - and there frequently is - ask or hire a pro to sort it out for you.

At least some of us are Pro's here and have been in business for decades. Some pro's maintain their edge through continuing education with the manufacturers, local code authorites, forums like this, etc... Most times, we can help folks sort the wheat from the chaff... but not always. The other thing folks should take away is that many here have their own opinions of things formed through direct experience over the course of many years or decades, and that each opinion may be different from others' opinions, AND valid as well. This last part is often the most difficult to grasp, yet is most important to remember.
    dana
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Note: please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :-)

The condensed answer to the Op thread is - Kerdi is providing a reliable , efficient and constant protection against water in liquid or vapor state , regardless of the approved substrate.--

The substrate is in question here , not Kerdi. Experience and other technical documentations say drywall is NOT to be use in a wet area.

It is just to easy -- the word easy is like a plague -- to rely on other trades for the safety of your tiled shower or wet area and say I am protected because I installed the Kerdi.

Properly build conditions exist only when you monitor the build constantly, which is not possible most of the time.
    Roberto

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 02:48 PM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Blog Entries

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

I guess John , is like only looking at one mfg recommendation, without considering the other ones.

Selling a high priced membrane over the cheapest product -- as substrate -- is the " winning " combination!
    Roberto

I still beg the question: If I install Kerdi over CMU, and the shower develops a leak, what have I gained by using the CMU? I'm not necessarily on the side of using drywall, I am just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    I still beg the question: If I install Kerdi over CMU, and the shower develops a leak, what have I gained by using the CMU? I'm not necessarily on the side of using drywall, I am just curious.
    The way I'm looking at it is if my valve leaks, and I realize this due to a puddle on the dry/opposite side of shower, I can access the leak from the back side and repair it, the hardi will have gotten wet/damp, but could still be OK after it drys, where as if the sheetrock got wet, it's more likely that it is damaged beyond repair and require complete teardown tile and all.

leo

No debonding or major dammage to the integrity of the assembly .

If debonding at the connection of the membrane with the CBU happens, then there is really no point in using the membrane ! A question to be asked to Sch.Tec.Dep. if curious.

Dammage due to a faulty valve or etc. can be more costly than the cost of the CBU-- read difference in between--.
    Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by eurob View Post
    No debonding or major dammage to the integrity of the assembly .

If debonding at the connection of the membrane with the CBU happens, then there is really no point in using the membrane ! A question to be asked to Sch.Tec.Dep. if curious.

Dammage due to a faulty valve or etc. can be more costly than the cost of the CBU-- read difference in between--.
    Debonding of membrane to substrate is a different issue not discussed in this thread. I'm actually waiting for input on this very topic at this thread

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...l=1#post407181

A faulty valve or a bad connection is just that, but the point I'm asking is that using cbu can mitigate OTHER problems that drywall can't.

Drywall will be dammaged beyond the point of safety for the assembly.

CBU will keep the integrity even if fully soaked, which probably will not happen without visible signs or leaks.
    Roberto

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong fellas, I think backer board under Kerdi is a fine idea - AND, backer board is an approved substrate by the manufacturer, as are many other options. Don't tell anyone, but I've done it myself. Backers like Permabase/Dalbase install similar to drywall and don't cost that much more if you're inclined to go that route. I got no problem with that.

Carry on.
    dana
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    in my youth, i knew it all and treated folks like they knew nothing. after 3+ decades in the construction business, i came to realize that the more i learn, the less i know. now i treat folks as i want to be treated - with respect, no matter how little i know. :-)

Note: please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :-)