Mounting driver for LED under cabinet lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
There does not seem to be anything limiting output to 1.25A per terminal. What I don't trust about the CCTV supply is how good it is as a constant voltage source. Cameras might tolerate more fluctuation than lights where the changes are visible as flickers.

If that is the case then it is not a four channel power supply.

The Idea of having 4 different channels on a security system, is that if one camera shorts , or a burglar shorts one camera, it does not kill the whole system. Each channel has its own fuse.

Not sure what you mean about power supply Flicker, It is DC not AC.

Have fun.

DonL

Reaction score
To block out **** Spammers...

Surely that is the reason.

I like placing my LED drivers in a 4"x4" box. In the back of a cabinet with easy access.

Why did I not think about that ?

I welcome spammers to my site so I can return the favor.

Have fun, I know you will.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I avoid mounting any power supplies inside cabinets. On top of them is my preferred location. That type of PS should be mounted in a small enclosure, as without one, there's no legal way to make the class 1 wiring connections. Here's my own kitchen I finished last fall. Have fun with the lights. :)
With all due respect, and I understand we all like different things, but OUCH!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
With all due respect, and I understand we all like different things, but OUCH!

Lemme guess, you're a hundred years old, and the lights hurt your eyes. See if I invite you to any of my parties. LOL

The LEDs fulfill my desire to live in a spaceship, instead of a boring, old house.

Wait til the bathroom is done. Hahahaha

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lemme guess, you're a hundred years old, and the lights hurt your eyes. See if I invite you to any of my parties. LOL

The LEDs fulfill my desire to live in a spaceship, instead of a boring, old house.

Wait til the bathroom is done. Hahahaha
Whatever floats your boat my friend. This is America, enjoy. I don't know about Don, but me? yeah I'm a 100.

Hillel

Reaction score
The joy of the Web; seek and ye shall find. Looks like there is an ETL listed enclosure certified with Meanwell power supplies. You can see it in this link.

TRC wholesales for $24.
Standard retail is $40.

Thanks.
---Hillel

DonL

Reaction score
Not sure why you want to make it so complex.

But whatever you like. That is nice. It will work, for the models listed. I guess you have your supplies ?

I should get my Meanwell 60 Watt power supply tomorrow, I had to buy one just for test.

I am more into testing for RFI, and how these supplies affect WiFi routers , cordless and cell phones, Under full load.

Have Fun.

DonL

Reaction score
Well, a bit of a update.

I got my power supply and I was impressed with the output power.

But I was not impressed with the amount of RFI it produced. Wipes out about every Ham band.

No mater what you use for LED lighting, check to see if the supply has a "I.T.E." or "ITE" rating.

If it does have that ratting, check the rating if you use it in your home, and live near a Ham Radio Operator, Don't be surprised if the FCC comes knocking on your door.

I bought another one, because I build RFI filters, and I like new challenges that can benefit others.

Have Fun.

Last edited:

Hillel

Reaction score
But I was not impressed with the amount of RFI it produced. Wipes out about every Ham band.
Interesting, but at what range? I had one running as a test very close to my wireless-N access point and did not experience any network problems. I will have to experiment more carefully.

Thanks.
---Hillel

DonL

Reaction score
Interesting, but at what range? I had one running as a test very close to my wireless-N access point and did not experience any network problems. I will have to experiment more carefully.

Thanks.
---Hillel

It is the HF bands, 3 thru 30 Mhz.

It is real strong on the lower end, but tapers off as you go up in frequency.

I would not think it would affect 2400 Mhz, The newer 5 Gig routers may be better, But a Microwave Oven will wipe out many of them.

I would guess anything above 50 Mhz would be ok for the led lighting.

I still have more testing to do.

The problem I see with the LED light strips, Is that they will act like antennas. Depending on their length they would fall somewhere within the 10-80 Meter HF bands.

Have Fun.

Last edited:

Raymond07

Reaction score
I'm doing a kitchen cabinet install and customer requested led accent lighting. i bought the led strip from http://www.lightingnext.com/5630-led-flexible-strip-60-leds-per-meter.html ,the chinese made ones that come on a reel.thing is the electricians are saying to use the romex thats already ran in the walls and stubbed out where cabinets are hung to power the strips. originally was one wall switch controlling all on and off. then customer changed it to have upper and lower controlle seperately. now they want dimming added.this is the 4th electrician contractor has hired and not one has ran low voltage wire, done been rocked and painted.so how well will using 14-2 romex work for 12v dc. i know i haave to get the right rated power supplys and dimmers.my thinking is this isnt the way to run it but im a cabinet guy. any info input on how else to run the wiring and power supply with dimmers would be great. thanks

irev210

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Electrical safety and code question here.

I am planning to install LED strip lighting under my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, DC transformers for LEDs do not seem to come small enough to fit in a standard gang box. The trick is where to hide it in the cabinets. I have a damp area MEANWELL UL Component Waterproof 60 Watt LED Power Supply

-60 LED driver with wires for the high and low voltage sides.

Does anyone know the electrical code (at least NEC) that would limit how such a driver is mounted?
Does it have to been in a larger enclosure, or is there an allowed way to surface mount the enclosure inside a cabinet and connect the wires with Romex® coming out of the wall?

Thanks.
---Hillel

I was faced with the same issue.

I found this company that seems to make very nice quality power supplies (made in USA) that have a solid metal box with mounting posts and knock outs for A/C on one side and D/C on the other.

http://www.magnitudeinc.com/product-category/led-magnetic-dc-drivers/

Has anyone used the magnitude products? They also seem to be the OEM for a few LED strip websites (like flexfire or environmentallights).

At 60 bucks or so, it's pricey but seems to be the best product on the market.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I avoid mounting any power supplies inside cabinets. On top of them is my preferred location. That type of PS should be mounted in a small enclosure, as without one, there's no legal way to make the class 1 wiring connections. Here's my own kitchen I finished last fall. Have fun with the lights. :)
Where's the disco ball?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks