Well pump not working

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That's ok. The pump is 240V, hence my hesitation. My step-dad always taught me to respect electricity. The pressure switch is a Square D and no lever. I've changed the pressure switch in the past so changing it this time wasn't a big deal. I can't find the multimeter's instruction book, I've had it several years and honestly I don't remember buying it so it may have been given to me.
I'm unsure what you're asking about the cap. If you're talking about the capacitor, it is inside the control box so I have to open the box to test the capacitor. I looked it up online and it said to remove the wires on the capacitor and cross the poles to charge it, I did and I got a spike on the ohms.
I have already tested the circuit breaker for the pump and got 250V. So I traced the lines from there and tested the pressure switch to see if it was receiving electricity and got 250V. Then I traced the lines to the control box and got 250V at the point where the wires connect to the box. Then I checked the capacitor. That's as far as I've gotten. After that I'm not sure what to do, what to test, how to test it, etc.
I don't know if it matters but I drained all the water lines so I wouldn't have to deal with burst lines again. I do believe the pressure tank is empty as well.
Also, the pressure switch points are closed but no water.
I hope this helps. We've had no water for 4 or 5 days now.

Here is your meters manual.

www.winforce.net/manuals/GMT_12A.pdf

Reach4

Reaction score
What voltage do you get on the wires to the pump in the control box when you turn on the power for a bit? Post a picture of the inside of your control box if you don't know where that might be measured.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would call around and see if you could work out a payment plan with a local pump guy. Our conscious wont allow us to walk away and leave people without water, and I bet most guys in the business feel the same way.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would call around and see if you could work out a payment plan with a local pump guy. Our conscious wont allow us to walk away and leave people without water, and I bet most guys in the business feel the same way.

Good Idea.

Not having water is a pain.

I am lucky enough to have a neighbor that I can connect a water hose to, if I have problems. And I return the favor if he needs water.

That is hard to do when the weather is freezing, but that is rare here.

I was wondering if maybe the control box that she has, may have a manual reset breaker. Or are they all auto reset ?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

Craig is right. I did so many like this I started calling it my local charity. I can’t stand to see people who are already in a bad situation go without water. Pay a pump man to clip an amp meter around the wire. It maybe that the pump is fine and simply needs to be reattached to the pipe down the hole. That would be a labor only job for me, (no parts needed) so it wouldn’t cost much and I would work out a payment plan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks