(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well pump not working

Thanks for the response. We threw the breaker as soon as we saw the water wasn't running, but we have no way of knowing when it stopped in the middle of the night. I will have to find a clip around amp meter. I guess we will have to pull the pump if there is power going to it. I am not looking forward to pulling 310 ft of pipe and wires. If the pipe did melt will my pump still be ok?
    Someone earlier said to borrow money so someone else can make the repairs but that is not an option. We will have to do this ourselves or learn to live without running water.
    Thanks again.

Believe me, if I could afford a professional I would in a heartbeat. My husband and I are both on disability and believe me its not much. I have two choices, fix it myself or go without running water. Borrowing money is not an option. Thank you for your help.

The money you will spend to buy the proper equipment to trouble shoot the pump will exceed what a service call by a qualified pump tech will cost.

Last year we went on a no water call, diagnosed the problem as a bad pump. In order to "save" money, the homeowner chose to pull 580' by himself with help from friends. Two days later we were back to fish out the new pump, pipe and wire after they lost control of it while reinstalling it. The new #10 wire was destroyed because they hadn't taped it off and it balled up on top of the pump, the new pump was the wrong size and now couldn't be returned so in the end the job cost him almost 75% more than it would have if he had just let us do it to begin with. Some people learn the hard way.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I agree with craigpump; there is a time to reason. A small mistake at the well could end up being cause to need a new well drilled, which can cost thousands of dollars.

When we purchased out property it didn't have a well. It cost us $6,000.00 and that was 19 years ago, I can only imagine what it would cost now. 6-7 years ago we had the pump replaced and that cost $1,300.00. My monthly income is less than that. My husband was in a car accident that left him disabled and we had to file bankruptcy, so getting a loan isn't going to happen. As it is, even if we do the work it's going to take a few months at best to raise the money to even buy the pump. This isn't a "some people learn the hard way" situation, this is a some people live below the poverty level and don't have many choices situation. All the horror stories aren't going to change my situation.
    Thank you though, I know you are giving me good advice but broke is broke, I don't have any other options.

Quote Originally Posted by PamB View Post
    That's ok. The pump is 240V, hence my hesitation. My step-dad always taught me to respect electricity. The pressure switch is a Square D and no lever. I've changed the pressure switch in the past so changing it this time wasn't a big deal. I can't find the multimeter's instruction book, I've had it several years and honestly I don't remember buying it so it may have been given to me.
    I'm unsure what you're asking about the cap. If you're talking about the capacitor, it is inside the control box so I have to open the box to test the capacitor. I looked it up online and it said to remove the wires on the capacitor and cross the poles to charge it, I did and I got a spike on the ohms.
    I have already tested the circuit breaker for the pump and got 250V. So I traced the lines from there and tested the pressure switch to see if it was receiving electricity and got 250V. Then I traced the lines to the control box and got 250V at the point where the wires connect to the box. Then I checked the capacitor. That's as far as I've gotten. After that I'm not sure what to do, what to test, how to test it, etc.
    I don't know if it matters but I drained all the water lines so I wouldn't have to deal with burst lines again. I do believe the pressure tank is empty as well.
    Also, the pressure switch points are closed but no water.
    I hope this helps. We've had no water for 4 or 5 days now.

Here is your meters manual.

www.winforce.net/manuals/GMT_12A.pdf
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

What voltage do you get on the wires to the pump in the control box when you turn on the power for a bit? Post a picture of the inside of your control box if you don't know where that might be measured.

I would call around and see if you could work out a payment plan with a local pump guy. Our conscious wont allow us to walk away and leave people without water, and I bet most guys in the business feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    I would call around and see if you could work out a payment plan with a local pump guy. Our conscious wont allow us to walk away and leave people without water, and I bet most guys in the business feel the same way.

Good Idea.

Not having water is a pain.

I am lucky enough to have a neighbor that I can connect a water hose to, if I have problems. And I return the favor if he needs water.

That is hard to do when the weather is freezing, but that is rare here.

I was wondering if maybe the control box that she has, may have a manual reset breaker. Or are they all auto reset ?
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    Craig is right. I did so many like this I started calling it my local charity. I can’t stand to see people who are already in a bad situation go without water. Pay a pump man to clip an amp meter around the wire. It maybe that the pump is fine and simply needs to be reattached to the pipe down the hole. That would be a labor only job for me, (no parts needed) so it wouldn’t cost much and I would work out a payment plan.