Motion Sensor a Flood light

Users who are viewing this thread

Dubs_10

Reaction score
I am wanting to put a motion sensor flood light outside between my garage doors. On the inside of the garage I have a 3 way light switch that is connected to a garage light. Can I get power from that switch or maybe the light it controls for my flood light?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I am wanting to put a motion sensor flood light outside between my garage doors. On the inside of the garage I have a 3 way light switch that is connected to a garage light. Can I get power from that switch or maybe the light it controls for my flood light?
only if that switch is fed by 120 volts. If there is only three wires there the answer is no

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The light will need constant 120vac, neutral, and ground...it depends on how the switch is wired and what passes through the box there. Now, if you want the added flood to be controlled via that switch as well, it may work, depending on the one you choose. I have one hooked up in my stairwell to a 3-way switch. If you flick the switch, it turns the light on and it overrides the motion sensor. If you just turn it on once, it relies on the motion sensor to turn the light on and off. I also has a photocell, and won't automatically turn on in the daylight unless you do the override trick.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks