Popup drain leaked on first test

Users who are viewing this thread

Elijahwww

Reaction score
I installed a set of Danze faucets in my new bathroom vanity, but the metal drain is leaking on both sinks. It is leaking from either the tailpipe where it is threaded into drain collar or from the collar itself, I can not tell.
The collar came with rubber washer on top and bottom, so i did not use silicone or putty.
For the tailpipe I used about a foot of teflon tape.
The picture below doesn't show the top rubber gasket that goes under the flange, but the unit came with it.

What did I do wrong?

http://www.danze.com/file.aspx?DocumentId=299

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 325

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either pipe dope or plumbers putting on the threads of the drain collar. None on the rubber donut below the sink.
The tail piece either gets pipe dope or a little tape.

I have never seen instructions with faucets mention this, but it keeps us employed.

Elijahwww

Reaction score
Thank you all. I will try the putty next.

HJ, the threads had that much slack, that I made 3 rounds of tape and i could still thread it with relative ease.

Elijahwww

Reaction score
That worked, plus more putty on the drain collar threads, where-about the bottom rubber washer is. It wasnt keeping the seal otherwise.
Is there a safe torque spec for the lock nut? I was afraid of cracking the sink or bending the flange.

Elijahwww

Reaction score
Still no leaks, thanks everyone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 243
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks