(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washing Machine Drain in Kitchen

Default Washing Machine Drain in Kitchen

I'm about to test this setup by running the washing machine. Who thinks this won't work and why? What you are looking at is 9 feet of 3/4" SCH40 PVC from the washing machine drain to the 1 1/2" PVC tee and then through the p-trap and out to the main drain line.
    I don't like to violate code but sometimes it's the only reasonable option.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by detroittola View Post
    I'm about to test this setup by running the washing machine. Who thinks this won't work and why? What you are looking at is 9 feet of 3/4" SCH40 PVC from the washing machine drain to the 1 1/2" PVC tee and then through the p-trap and out to the main drain line.
    I don't like to violate code but sometimes it's the only reasonable option.

Thanks.
    Ridiculous!! I don't know where to start on this lmao.

Lol. It works though.

Lol. It works though.
    A lot of things work until they don't. That is why we have building codes and such -- to sort out the things that work well based on years of collective experience and analysis from things that happen to work at this moment...

Needless to say you did bother to get this inspected. It is so far from legal I won't even attempt to try to offer help. I guess your theory is if it works it must be OK.

What is that flex hose laying on the bottom of the cabinet hooked too? (the one with the electrical cord wrapped around it).

And why is the disposer hose barb for the dishwasher open with a hose clamp on it but no hose?

How much did you spend on the brass fittings and hose adapters tees etc to put this all together?

Lol. It works though.

It may work for now.

You may want to see if a new water pump for your washing machine is available.

You may need a new one in the near future.

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by houptee View Post
    What is that flex hose laying on the bottom of the cabinet hooked too? (the one with the electrical cord wrapped around it).

And why is the disposer hose barb for the dishwasher open with a hose clamp on it but no hose?

How much did you spend on the brass fittings and hose adapters tees etc to put this all together?

The hose you see will eventually be the dishwasher supply line. I went to install the dishwasher and realized that good ole HD sent me a used/returned unit. It actually still had water in it! I'm exchanging it for a new one.

The brass fittings cost me about $25.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    It may work for now.

You may want to see if a new water pump for your washing machine is available.

You may need a new one in the near future.

Good Luck.

Excellent point. I am a little worried about this so I checked and a new pump costs about $50. The drain hose from the washer is also 3/4" so I basically extended the hose and sealed the drain where it should be open to air. The convenience and laundry savings are worth a $50 pump to me if it might work.

I went to install the dishwasher and realized that good ole HD sent me a used/returned unit. It actually still had water in it! I'm exchanging it for a new one.
    Did the water have laundry detergent or dish soap in it by any chance? In addition to what we can see, it is also illegal in CA to connect a dishwasher directly to a drain or garbage disposer.

Do you want advice from some very knowledgeable and generous professionals who deal with this sort of thing every day on how to do it right given the challenges you face, or are you just trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by bluebinky View Post
    Did the water have laundry detergent or dish soap in it by any chance? In addition to what we can see, it is also illegal in CA to connect a dishwasher directly to a drain or garbage disposer.

Do you want advice from some very knowledgeable and generous professionals who deal with this sort of thing every day on how to do it right given the challenges you face, or are you just trolling?
    I am installing a siphon break between the dishwasher and disposal. I would love advice on how to do it properly but I don't think it's possible being that it's a condo with no hookups. If the answer is that it cannot be done according to code than I will have to take my chances as is.

I am installing a siphon break between the dishwasher and disposal. I would love advice on how to do it properly but I don't think it's possible being that it's a condo with no hookups. If the answer is that it cannot be done according to code than I will have to take my chances as is.

Most condos around here, do not let you work on anything. For insurance reasons normally.

That is what your Fee pays for, and they have a pro do the work, at your expense.

Most of the time you can run Portable units, water down a sink, but not directly connect to it.

Did you have a disposal, and replaced it, or did you add it.

Watch out for the code police.
    Last edited by DonL; 01-26-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

I am installing a siphon break between the dishwasher and disposal.
    Good.
    I would love advice on how to do it properly but I don't think it's possible being that it's a condo with no hookups. If the answer is that it cannot be done according to code than I will have to take my chances as is.
    I'm not a pro, but I'll give it an initial shot.

It looks like the most difficult part is obviously the drain. It needs to be 2" and properly vented. Is there any way to get an 1 1/2 inch? vent from the washer hookup to the vent from the sink (at least 6 inches above the sink, say inside the upper cabinets?

If I were you I would disconnect that before it costs you big time! If the washer leaks and floods your place and possibly others YOU, not your insurance will be held liable for the damages.
    Last edited by Jerome2877; 01-26-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome2877 View Post
    If I were you I would disconnect that before it costs you big time! If the washer leaks and floods your place and possibly others YOU, not your insurance will be held liable for the damages.
    I'm on the bottom concrete floor over the parking garage. The worst case scenario that I see is a burned out drain pump which will cost me $50.