1949 Eljer? toilet in need of lift rods/tank ball - with pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

iaceit

Reaction score
Hello!
Hoping to find some replacement parts (original replacements or new tank ball or flapper) for a 1949 toilet with no manufacture name (that I can find), but with a 36 imprinted in the tank and a June 1949 on the lid.
The drawing with the red arrows shows the parts I need (even tho the other parts are a little different from mine - see pictures). The rod guide might be in the way if I don't remove it, if a new flapper is installed.
Anyways, I am hoping someone has some ideas for me!
Thanks
Toilet_Parts_149_DJFes.jpg

insideparts2.jpg

toilet.jpg

toiletlid.jpg

iaceit

Reaction score
American Standard used a tank ball and threaded brass rod like that at one time.

After much searching I found out this is a Eljer Sylenta 5120.

Do you know of a new universal flapper that may work with this?

Thanks for your response

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
After much searching I found out this is a Eljer Sylenta 5120.

Do you know of a new universal flapper that may work with this?

Thanks for your response

Good find! Actually, the guy on youtube must be a Terry Love devotee, as he says that he is now using the Korky quietfill exclusively -- exactly what I was going to recommend for your fill valve instead of a ballcock. And he has the right one (white cap) for the toilet involved, although he can probably save some water with the 528MP (silver cap) adjustable one as I imagine that the bowl is being overfilled upon refill.

I'm thinking that you can't just drop a flapper on there, because the overflow around which you would hang it is actually a molded part of the tank. Easiest solution (and a perfectly good one) is just to replace the tank ball and leave everything else as-is. Did you want the part because the toilet is leaking around the tank ball? I dont see why you couldnt just get a similar generic tank ball like this and install it on your existing lift wire. http://www.lowes.com/pd_24454-143-PP23502_0__?productId=1069565&Ntt=flapper&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=flapper&page=1&facetInfo=
They also make them with the lift wire attached, too.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
I don't think it's a magic part, from what I can see anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

iaceit

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for everyone's input. I have found some parts and will give it a go.

Achutch

Reaction score
Eljer Sylenta

It's great to see one of my videos on this forum. After cleaning as much of the staining as I could inside the tank and making sure the china flush valve seat was clean, I installed a regular tank ball and lower lift wire, and an authentic Eljer handle (any generic will do, but I like my restorations to be exact). Any tank I rebuild gets the Korky Quietfill regardless of brand or vintage. They are easiest for me to service, especially in a seasonal cabin where the plumbing must be drained and winterized. The cap comes off without a fight, and the water goes out. These valves also has a strainer that keeps material like sand from interfering with the valve's operation. My water supply is gravity fed from a brook, and I have about 18 lbs pressure, so the adjustable valve isn't really needed for my application, but would be great for anyone who is on municipal water or a well.

Good find! Actually, the guy on youtube must be a Terry Love devotee, as he says that he is now using the Korky quietfill exclusively -- exactly what I was going to recommend for your fill valve instead of a ballcock. And he has the right one (white cap) for the toilet involved, although he can probably save some water with the 528MP (silver cap) adjustable one as I imagine that the bowl is being overfilled upon refill.

I'm thinking that you can't just drop a flapper on there, because the overflow around which you would hang it is actually a molded part of the tank. Easiest solution (and a perfectly good one) is just to replace the tank ball and leave everything else as-is. Did you want the part because the toilet is leaking around the tank ball? I dont see why you couldnt just get a similar generic tank ball like this and install it on your existing lift wire. http://www.lowes.com/pd_24454-143-P...l=1&currentURL=?Ntt=flapper&page=1&facetInfo=
They also make them with the lift wire attached, too.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
I don't think it's a magic part, from what I can see anyway.