(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Make a Tannin system from a Water Softener

Dittohead, I performed the Chlorine bleach test you mentioned and it didn't make any real difference in the water color. I think it actually made it more yellow than yellowish brown. I installed a small under the counter carbon filter that was laying around the cottage for years at the kitchen sink. It made a big difference. The water was almost clear in a styrofoam cup. I dropped the lake water samples off for testing. I haven't heard back from the guy with the water softener on the size of the resin tank. I heard that you need 2 cubic feet of resin for adequate removal which might mean some smaller tanks would not hold the resin. Any comments on that? I think I better email him again. Maybe I can get the price down. If the resin gets close to the top of the tank I also read that you need a basket. I assume that is to stop the media from leaving the tank?
    Cheers all. And thanks for the help. I will find what is right for me with your help.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your "pilot" test says a lot. If the color is eaily removed with carbon at a high flow rate, you may be able to simply replace the media in your tank with GAC. It is much cheaper, no regenerant, and it also removes many chemicals that may or may not be present in the lake water. Do you have a lot of power boats in the lake? I sell a lot of tannin removal equipment, but I am not a big fan of it. The problems it can create sometimes outweigh the benefits. Try this test, run water though the carbon filter at a high speed, as fast as the filter will handle. Does it still remove the color? Do you have the model number of the filter? The color can be from many sources, and some may be removed by carbon, tannin resin, or even just the micron rating of the filter. It will cost almost nothing to do the next test. buy a 5 micron or 1 micron sediment filter cartridge and put it in the filter housing in place of the carbon. See if that also clears it up. Please post the test results when you get them and we will come up with a great and reasonble priced solution for you.

First off what is GAC? Something Active Carbon/Charcoal? During the summer months we get a fair amount of power boats/Jet ski's on the weekends. It is slowly becoming more of a pontoon boat lake. I will test the filter at high speed and get a model# next trip. I think the color is the same at a slow or fast rate of flow. I am currently running 5 micron and 1 micron whole house filters after my pump and before my flourescent bacteria system, hot water and buffer tanks. The carbon filter is after all that under the kitchen sink. It makes the biggest difference in color.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorshooter View Post
    First off what is GAC? Something Active Carbon/Charcoal? During the summer months we get a fair amount of power boats/Jet ski's on the weekends. It is slowly becoming more of a pontoon boat lake. I will test the filter at high speed and get a model# next trip. I think the color is the same at a slow or fast rate of flow. I am currently running 5 micron and 1 micron whole house filters after my pump and before my flourescent bacteria system, hot water and buffer tanks. The carbon filter is after all that under the kitchen sink. It makes the biggest difference in color.
    OK I see.... Granular Activated Carbon. Some more reading req'd.

Finally got the info back from the gentleman with the water softener for sale. It is a 10 x 56 inch canister and a 16 x 16 x 37 brine tank, Fleck 5600 head. I have to reply back whether I want the water softener, he is asking $400 and it is only a couple of years old. Does it sound like a good buy? Big enough for the tannin media? 1.5 or 2 cu/ft? Still no word from the guy I gave the water samples to. I will find his number and give him a call.

As for the sediment filter test the system already has 5 micron and one micron inline whole house filters installed and yes it cut the color down considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorshooter View Post
    Finally got the info back from the gentleman with the water softener for sale. It is a 10 x 56 inch canister and a 16 x 16 x 37 brine tank, Fleck 5600 head. I have to reply back whether I want the water softener, he is asking $400 and it is only a couple of years old. Does it sound like a good buy?
    That is about 2/3 of the price of a new 2 cubic ft system delivered with new softener resin. That's high for used.

Plus I will have to buy tannin resin if I go forward with it and that ain't cheap. I doubt he will go $200, maybe 250....