New punp, tank, plumbing, and... vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

stoneaxe

Reaction score
We had our submersible pump, motor, drop pipe, line to the well house, and tank all replaced. you can see the thread I started about it here-
https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...acement-pump-tank-etc-nuts&highlight=stoneaxe

50' well, 35' water level, Grundfos 10 gpm pump and 1/2 hp Franklin motor, 1" schd 120 pvc drop pipe, 1"poly from the well to the tank.
One check valve, one anti -torque rubber device.

The system had a vibration in it, we could hear and feel it in the plumbing-touching a faucet, or copper line.

The well guy came out and pulled the pump and motor. We took apart the pump and motor and I did note the pump shaft did not have a smooth rotation- it went from free and easy to quite sticky- also the motor was pulling a little more than the normal max amperage.

He replaced them with Grundfos 1/2hp motor and pump the second time.

The vibration is much less, but still present.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don’t see how you are getting vibration from the pump with poly pipe underground. The poly should be flexible enough, like a rubber hose, to keep vibration from transferring.

You may have a resonance problem. Sometimes just adding or taking away a couple feet of the drop pipe in the well will solve this problem. If the drop pipe is exactly the same length as the resonance frequency, it works like a tuning fork. Making the pipe a little longer or shorter changes the tuning frequency.

stoneaxe

Reaction score
Is this one in addition to the one built into the pump and if so, where is it?

Yes, it is either 20' or 40' above the pump, where two 20' sections of drop pipe join. I cannot remember which. There are two 20' sections and a short 5' or so section.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks