WARNING: Burnham Alpine 105 - Deadly Carbon monoxide danger - defective part

Users who are viewing this thread

Capindres

Reaction score
Jan 22, 2014 Flu Temp Sensor SEAL.jpgFlue Temp Sensor makeshift repair.jpg

This warning could save your life or your family's life.
I purchased and had installed a Burnham Alpine 105 hydronics boiler on Jan 13th 2010. (four years ago)

On Jan 19th 2014 my wife noticed that the carbon monoxide detector located in the kitchen upstairs was reading a high number (27) but she had not been using the cook stove.
For the previous several days our littlest boy (8-1/2) had been complaining of headache and not feeling well. So my wife (bless her heart) worried, convinced me to check things out.
We unplugged the Carbon detector and took it downstairs to the utility room to check it out. The first reading on the scale was 60 something!!! And the gas dryer had not been used that day yet.

When I took a look behind the Burnham boiler I was shocked at what I saw! The FLUE TEMPERATURE SENSOR "white rubber" or white "plastic" or white what ever it was mad out of had completly disintergrated into about 1,000 pieces!!!!
and was hanging part way out, allowing hot exaust gas to spew into the room through the (about 1/2" OD) pipe extension that the sensor was normally mounted on. The only thing that prevented it from falling out was the electrical wiring to the end of the sensor which was secured to the back wall of the boiler.

It took about an hour with all doors/windows open to vent the house of these dangerous gases, and get the carbon detector to read zero.

I was forced to JURY-RIG the fix. I used hot glue placed around the senseo stem, then a heavy coat around the outside of the sensor and pipe, then taped it with high quality electrical tape, then cut about a 3/4" strip of high temperature engine water heater hose, wrapping it around and fastening in place with a hose clamp.

I know this is not the proper way to do this fix, but I had to maintain heat in the home here in Alaska.
I emailed the Mfg. sunday night...... no reply as yet. Tuesday I filed a complaint with INTERTEK about this potentialy deadly faulty part used on their boilers.
And today I'm placing a warning here on a forum.

PLEASE PASS ON THE WARNNG. Perhaps a life or entire family's life will be saved in the long run.

I tried to attach a couple pictures for all to see, but instead caused this post to be erased, and I had to type it all over again. (I'LL TRY AGAIN)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What I am hearing is that the boiler is 4 years old and that it has not been inspected on any regular basis. Good that your wife has a CO detector and some good sense to know when something is wrong.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this up, but I was able to google this same exact issue and have the same problem. My sensory cap with the wires is totally disintegrated and just hanging there. Not sure what this does but I think it opens up the flue? Anyway, I have to rig something or use hot glue like you did and see if that will hold. Here's a pic of what mine looks like. But wanted to ask, if this was the cause of the two pipes leaking water?

burnham.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Silicon is supposed to be good for at least 302* f in general. Flue limit temp trips at 204*f if sensor is shorted or open there is a fault for that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks