Dishwasher drain hose (how bad is this?)

Users who are viewing this thread

chigundo

Reaction score
This is how dishwasher was hooked up since I moved here 5+ years ago, never had any issues. Drain hose developed a crack so I had to replace hose, but before putting everything back together, I want to confirm if this setup is okay.. i feel it's not. Again, haven't had any issues so I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. The drain hose has no loop and just goes underneath floor to existing drain. It's right next to the sink so I don't know why they didn't just hook it up to the sink drain.

Untitled.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless there is more to the DW drain line than you show, there is no way to keep water in the DW if the pump drain valve leaks. But, in any case, it is NOT how a competent plumber would have installed it.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
the hose for the dishwasher should at MINIMUM have high loop that goes up to the bottom of the counter before going down through the floor.... it would not make this a proper set-up but would be "better" than what you show there

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Think about all that sewer gas and bactria coming up that hose !

That is why they are connected to the sink drain so you can have a proper p-trap to protect your health !

chigundo

Reaction score
The hose was just coiled behind/underneither the dishwasher before heading down.. so there was a horizontal area that had the hole in it where the leak occurred.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What others have tried to explain is there are two ways to drain a DW. One method is to use a high loop. While this is not code in all places, it does work. The universally approved method is to use an air gap fixture which is mounted on the cabinet top above the DW. The purpose of these methods is to prevent the water from the DW from siphoning, and since both methods end up going into the sink drain ahead of the P trap, they prevent sewer gas as well. If your actual plumbing is as you have drawn, it is a real mess.

chigundo

Reaction score
it is exactly as I drew.. again though, haven't had any issues.. so why is that? dumb luck? I want it right that's for sure, just want to know what to expect before calling a plumber.

What's not shown is under the kitchen sink, there's another p-trap that's connected to a pipe with a air vent on it... not sure if that makes much of a difference in terms of how much of a mess everything is setup.

Last edited:

chigundo

Reaction score
I'll also add that last night I re-installed the new hose and gave it a high loop.. it's still connected to that drain but it's got the loop now, not sure how much that improves anything.

chigundo

Reaction score
Well that's not good. Let's say theoretically I'm just a bad artist and that actually IS a p-trap. Would that be okay then?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks