How do you clean Toto toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We recently installed 2 Toto toilets-one with CEFIONTECT and one without. What kind of brush and cleaner should be used? I've read the sites specifying no Comet, etc., but haven't come across what is actually best. Thank you!! :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any non-abrasive cleaner. I'd stay away from anything with a lot of acid in it too. Basically pretty much anything designed for bathroom cleaning that says it is non-abrasive. You'll find thatthe CEFIONTECT will allow you to just brush off most things and it won't accumulate much or anywhere near as fast as the other one you have.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cefiontect_instructions.pdf

• Use a mild dish detergent to clean your lavatory.
• Use a gel-based toilet bowl cleaner.
• Use a soft cloth to clean your lavatory.
• Use a soft-bristled plastic brush to clean your toilet.

toto-bowl-cleaning.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn_James

Reaction score
With my CEFIONTECT Toto I received instructions to use a neutral (not acidic or basic) cleaner. Having in for just a few days I haven't figured out what to clean it with, but they were clear about not using anything that was acidic or basic.

Glenn

Achutch

Reaction score
Bowl cleaner

I do not have hard water in either my home (municipal water) or my camp (brook water) and have no need for an acidic cleaner. Between the two places there are 4 toilets. I'm using Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach on all 4 of them. I also use Pine-Sol, which is mild. I use a plastic body toilet brush (no metal holding the bristles that will rust and scratch the toilet). These cleaners do an excellent job and keep my new Toto Drake and my 3 "antiques", the oldest of which is 70 years old, looking as new as they did when they came out of the box.

I would think ordinary dishwashing liquid would work too.

Matt

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I don't believe that 'soft scrub" is really all that soft. It Will scratch stainless steel. I use it on occasion only. Best advice: Break the bleach habit and switch to the Clorox/Teflon product on a regular basis.

I may also start using a Rain-X surfactant type of product as well as an experiment.
I think we get so used to the fragrance of these cleaners and think they all work-they dont all work.

I mop my kitchen floors with scalding hot water. Nothing better.

Last edited:

Patty Hensley

Reaction score
cleaning toto toilets

What is the best product to clean my toto toilets???[

QUOTE=decisions, decisions!;28628]We recently installed 2 Toto toilets-one with CEFIONTECT and one without. What kind of brush and cleaner should be used? I've read the sites specifying no Comet, etc., but haven't come across what is actually best. Thank you!! :)[/QUOTE]

kc1121

Reaction score
What is the best product to clean my toto toilets???[

QUOTE=decisions, decisions!;28628]We recently installed 2 Toto toilets-one with CEFIONTECT and one without. What kind of brush and cleaner should be used? I've read the sites specifying no Comet, etc., but haven't come across what is actually best. Thank you!! :)
[/QUOTE]

This is copied from an email I received from a Toto rep almost a year ago:

Please do not use commercial cleaners, powders, or metal type brushes.

I would recommend using Clorox Green Works for your bowl cleaner and please do not use any cleaners in your tank.

It may wear down the life span of your tank parts.

Patty Hensley

Reaction score
Clorox Green Works for Toto toilets?????

Can I use CLorox Green Works Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner in my toto toilets with a CEFIONTECT finish? I am unable to find Clorox with Teflon in my area.
thanks!
Patty

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Yes as long as the cleaner does not have an abrasive.
Looking at the list of ingredients yours does not.

essential oils
contains no phosphorous or bleach
glycerine
coconut-based cleaning agent
(nonionic surfactants: alkyl polyglucoside)
filtered water
natural thickener (xanthan gum)
blue and yellow colorant
lactic acid, citric acid

beachgirl

Reaction score
Cleaning the Toto: Drake model

I recently bought the Drake model, there is a lot to love about it ... but the cleaning is surprisingly hard. It gets dirty right at the water line which is hard to scrub clean because it is a little curvy. I am also having a hard time because not all the water flushs out (which I know is the design) so I have to be careful not to use too much cleaner because there is some residual left.

I really want to get this all figured out because I still have two more toilets to replace.

I was wondering if I could reattach the chain in the tank a link or two so that the water line would be just a little lower in the bowl and would be located where the walls of the bowl are straighter and easy to clean??

SAS

Reaction score
Have you noticed any (significant) difference between the two in terms of staying clean? Does the CEFIONTECT eliminate or reduce the need for frequent, quick brush cleaning? Since you have one of each, you are an ideal test. I have 2 Toto Drake models without CEFIONTECT and need to replace another toilet. I'm trying to find out if the CEFIONTECT really makes a difference.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The CEFIONTECT does make a difference.

I have one customer in Issaquah that started with one, and then replace the other two with CEFIONTECT.

I have two CEFIONTECT in the home and one non right now.
The non will be leaving soon.

I like moving things around anyway, you get to try more things that way.

toto-bowl-cleaning.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bowl gets refilled from the overflow tube. Failing to fill it up to the proper height will decrease the efficiency of the flush, and if extreme, could prevent it from flushing, so no, you can't adjust the bowl water height.

Wired711

Reaction score
The CEFIONTECT does make a difference.

I have one customer in Issaquah that started with one, and then replace the other two with CEFIONTECT.

I have two CEFIONTECT in the home and one non right now.
The non will be leaving soon.

I like moving things around anyway, you get to try more things that way.

Hi Terry and all,

I would very much like to get the CEFIONTECT but need to get bone for my powder room toilet and would also prefer (I think) to get the 1.6 GPF (assuming it yields better bowl wash performance than the relatively new 1.28 GPF models). The problem is that 1.6 GPF in bone doesn't seem to come with CEFIONTECT. Would be interested in your opinion regarding the questions in my full post in the "Toto Drake toilet product review" thread here...
Thanks for your help!

Wired

Last edited:

jaydarl

Reaction score
Have you noticed any (significant) difference between the two in terms of staying clean? Does the CEFIONTECT eliminate or reduce the need for frequent, quick brush cleaning? Since you have one of each, you are an ideal test. I have 2 Toto Drake models without CEFIONTECT and need to replace another toilet. I'm trying to find out if the CEFIONTECT really makes a difference.

I know I am late in replying to this but I just wanted to give my perspective on Toto's CEFIONTECT. First of all this site was very instrumental in me choosing the Toto Drake CEFIONTECT back in June 2008. I would like to thank all the contributors.

Now back to the CEFIONTECT. Does it eliminate cleaning? Absolutely not. Does it reduce? Well, yes compared to the 40 year old toilet it replaced. However, I am somewhat disappointed in CEFIONTECT in regards to my expectations. The marketing of CEFIONTECT, to me, implied that the toilet would be self cleaning. I had visions of it being like very slick ice and any dirt that dared to stick around would slip away down the drain once the toilet was flushed. Well, it is not quite that effective. Oh well, so a little dirt stick around after the flush, so surely a quick flick of the brush and it's gone. Again, not quite, sometimes it will take a bit of elbow grease, especially under the rim. I can't compare it to the none CEFIONTECT model but do not expect the CEFIONTECT to be the magic pill of toilet cleaning

Overall, I have enjoyed this toilet. I have had to plunge a few times but I have much more confidence in it than other 1.6 toilets I have used.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The marketing of CEFIONTECT, to me, implied that the toilet would be self cleaning.

Self cleaning? Now that would be a magic pill that would grow a bean stalk that you could climb up to the clouds on.

I think cleaning will always be with us.
I was talking to my sister in Tacoma on Sunday, and she mentioned that her old 70's toilets needed pumice stone cleaning to remove the ring that was etched into the porcelain bowl at the water line.

I have both bowls in the home; regular glaze and CEFIONTECT glazing, and the CEFIONTECT is easier to keep clean, but that doesn't mean I can skip cleaning them anymore then I can skip vacuuming the carpets or running the cars through the car wash.

I have a dishwasher because I haven't found any self cleaning dishes yet.
Maybe the late great Billy Mayes knew about self cleaning coffee cups.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks